Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Plural exercise    

Plural exercise

gportiglioti
Brazil

Plural exercise

Hello, Dear Friends.

I would like to ask you some help with an exercise from a test my students took.

they have to make a sentence plural. The sentence is:

AT RISK OF SUDDEN DEATH FROM FAULTY HEART GENE
. (it �s a piece of news from BBC)

would you make all the nouns plural?  AT RISKS OF SUDDEN DEATHS FROM FAULTY HEART GENES.

or would you make it different?

The sentence is isolated from the news, so students shouldn �t take into consideration the article.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Geovane P. 

2 Mar 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I can �t imagine this as a plural sentence, I �m sorry to say. �At risk of � is a set phrase. �Death � is a noun, but you are at risk of death or of dying, not deaths - you can �t die more than once. �Heart � is a noun, but used adjectively. If you were referring to a whole group of people, you would say �they are at risk of.... � with everything in that phrase in the singular. Maybe you could say �genes �? I�m not a medic, but a quick google seems to show people are at risk from a faulty gene and not genes. 

2 Mar 2017     

yanogator
United States

I agree completely with Lynne.

What you gave is not a sentence. In fact, it seems to be a headline, since it doesn �t say "a faulty heart gene". 

I can �t imagine the purpose of this on a test, unless it is just to show that nothing in it should be changed.

Bruce 

2 Mar 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Here is your same sentence as a news headline

620,000 people in UK �at risk of sudden death from faulty heart gene�

(sorry if the size is large - I copied and pasted)

Including it in a test and asking students to make it plural is not easy because headlines do not use grammatically correct English and just changing the sentence to plural still does not make it grammatically correct. Your sentence is not a complete sentence.  To be grammatically correct, this �Guardian� headline should read as: 620,000 people in the UK are at risk of sudden death as a result of faulty heart genes (or, as a result of a faulty heart gene).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jayho 

2 Mar 2017     

gportiglioti
Brazil

Thank you so much for all your help!!

5 Mar 2017