Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > perform a play    

perform a play

regueb
Tunisia

perform a play

Hi everybody,
I am looking for a play to perform with my pupils. The topic is family relationships. Any suggestions, please?  
Thanks in advance. 

8 Mar 2017      

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

What is the age and level of your pupils?

8 Mar 2017     

regueb
Tunisia

They are between the age of 13 and 15.

8 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I wrote a simple play on the theme of introducing a newborn to the family as a possible springboard for your class to generate their own play. Feel free to use it as is or modify it as needed (scenes 4 and 5 are optional and need to be developed, if a longer play is desired).

Baby Meets the Family

Scene 1 Introductions and family relationships

The baby is sitting in his infant seat on the table.

The family members come to the table one by one and say their line to the baby.

Student 1 (girl): Hello, Baby! I’m (student’s name). I’m your big sister. Welcome to the family!

Student 2 (boy): Hello, Baby! I’m (student’s name). I’m your big brother. Welcome to the family!

Student 3 (girl): Hello, Baby! I’m (student’s name). I’m your aunt. Welcome to the family!

Student 4 (boy): Hello, Baby! I’m (student’s name). I’m your uncle. Welcome to the family!

Student 5: Hello, Baby! I’m (student’s name). I’m your cousin. Welcome to the family!

Student 6 (girl): Hello, Baby! I’m (student’s name). I’m your I’m your grandmother. Welcome to the family!

Student 7 (boy): Hello, Baby! I’m (student’s name). I’m your grandfather. Welcome to the family!

Student 8: Hello, Baby! I’m (student’s name). I’m your big brother. Welcome to the family!

Student 9 (boy): Hello, Baby! I’m Daddy. I’m your father. Welcome to the family!

Student 10 (girl): Hello, Baby! Come to Mommy. It’s time to eat!

For classes with more students, add as many sisters, brothers, cousins, aunts, or uncles, as necessary for each student to say a line.

Scene 2 The baby has… (body parts)

The relatives are seated in a semi-circle facing the audience and pass the baby from one person to the other. Each student says his line to the baby when he is holding the baby.

Student 1: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have your grandmother’s rosy cheeks!

Student 2: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have your Daddy’s smile!

Student 3: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have your Uncle (uncle’s name +’s) nose! (ex. Uncle Bill’s nose)

Student 4: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have Aunt (aunt’s name +’s) forehead! (ex. Aunt Ann’s forehead)

Student 5: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have your cousin (cousin’s name +’s) chin! (ex. cousin Chris’s chin)

Student 6: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have such tiny feet!

Student 7: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have such tiny hands.

Student 8: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have such tiny fingers.

Student 9: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have your grandfather’s hair.

Student 10: Hello, (Baby’s name)! You have your mother’s eyes.

For classes with more students, add as many sisters, brothers, cousins, aunts, or uncles, as necessary with additional body parts so that each student can say a line.

Scene 3 Wishes 

The baby is sitting in his infant seat on the table again.

Family members are seated around the table. One student stands up, raises a glass, makes a toast to the baby, and then sits back down. Each student takes a turn standing up, raising his glass, saying his line, and then sitting back down.

Student 1: To our newest family member! Cheers!

All: Cheers!

Student 2: To (Baby’s name)!

All: To (Baby’s name)!

Student 3: To a long life!

All: To a long life!

Student 4: Wishing you much happiness!

All: To a happy life!

Student 5: May you prosper!

All: To a successful life!

Student 6: May you be healthy!

All: To a healthy life!

Student 7: May you be loved!

All: To a life filled with love!

Student 8: May you have wisdom!

All: To a life full of wisdom!

Student 9: May you be blessed!

All: To a life full of blessings!

Student 10: May all your dreams come true!

All: To making your dreams come true!

For classes with more students, add as many wishes, as necessary so that each student says a line.

All: sing For he’s/she’s a jolly good fellow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ieCUL0OFDw

The melody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_HpcfLyLz4

Optional: We are Family can be played or sung at the end of the play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mthfurNTcsU

For a longer play you can add more scenes

Scene 4 The family speculates about baby’s future profession

Student 1: He has such delicate hands. He would make a good physician!

All: We need good physicians!

Student 2: or pianist!

Student 3: Maybe he will be a ____________.

Continue naming possible future professions for as many students as are in the class so that each student gets to say a line.

Scene 5 Each family member gives the baby a gift

Student 1: This ______ is for you. I hope you enjoy it.

Continue giving the baby other gifts for as many students as are in the class so that each student gets to say a line.

Then to close you may want to play or sing the song “Hush Little Baby, don’t Say a Word” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOCx4D7KoGo

9 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

My previous post got to be too long.

9 Mar 2017     

regueb
Tunisia

Thanks a bunch. You are so helpful.

9 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

You �re welcome. I made a Powerpoint based on the play. https://www.screencast.com/t/efCgujALmLv3

9 Mar 2017