Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > fill the gaps exercises    

fill the gaps exercises

Pedro14
Spain

fill the gaps exercises

Hi there!

Could you help me with some gap filling gaps I can �t complete? Thanks in advance. - However, the best gifts are not the ones which cost the most, but those that you care and are capable of choosing a sensitive, appropriate gift from the wide range / variety available. (I �ve thought of these two words but dunno if both would fit). - Most of these spoons are true examples of craftsmanship and need to be _____ to be believed. (Would "seen" fit?). - Transport was so slow that getting newspapers to the countryside was a difficult and time consuming task. As a _______ of this, many people found out about events days after they had first been reported. (result / consequence would both fit?).
Have a nice Sunday!! 

12 Mar 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Pedro,
Wide range. 
Yes, �seen �.
Result.  

12 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

However, the best gifts are not the ones which cost the most, but those that SHOW (is a word missing?) you care and are capable of choosing a sensitive, appropriate gift from the wide range / variety available.

12 Mar 2017     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Pedro.
I would say that both "range" and "variety" work
"Seen" is correct
I think both "result" and "consequence" are correct

Bruce 

12 Mar 2017     

Pedro14
Spain

Thank you very much all for your help. You were right redcamarocruiser, I made a typo when typing and didn �t write "show that" . Sorry for that. I have several other gaps which are causing me trouble. Would you help me out with them? Thanks in advance. - A friend who had just returned from Wales ____ me of a rather unusual but charming present he had bought for his mother. (told? I think tell is followed by the preposition about not of) - Most people can only ever dream ____ this extraordinary level of success, but ... ( about? of? both? - In spite of being bullied and suffering from illnesses, he did not let his troubles get the ___ of him and took a serious interest in physical fitness. (better?) - Employees are offered many perks, for ____ free lunches, free health care and a company library. (example or instance would fit, but aren �t these words immediately followed by a comma?) - Consequently, 75% of its customers ___ repeat buyers. (are?) - If you have good company values and you __ your mind to it (have?), you will be able to accomplish the impossible. - Our accommodation turned out to be a small and very dirty room. I had never seen anything so appalling before! Our holidays __ ruined. (got? were? both?)

13 Mar 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You are doing well with these, Pedro, your answers are all good!  Told is good, but It is more usually followed with �about �, as you say. �Informed � would also go there, but it �s too formal. Dream of. Dream of is in the aspirational sense, whereas dream about is any old dream. However, both are acceptable; it �s a nice distinction. Get the better. Yes, for instance/example - both are OK (people are lax about commas nowadays!). Are repeat buyers ... you set your mind to it.... holidays were ruined. 

13 Mar 2017     

Pedro14
Spain

thanks a million. Last Friday my one-to-one student gave me some gap filling exercises his English teacher had set in class so that I could have them checked for this afternoon. I didn �t want to make any wrong corrections in any gap. Thank you cunliffe and all members for your help. Have of all you a nice Monday!!

13 Mar 2017