Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > s. o. s    

s. o. s

Mouna mch
Algeria

s. o. s

Hello there, I need your help dear colleagues... tomorrow I dealing with sounds... my learners are aged between 10 and 13 and they are beginnerbeginners... I couldn �t find an easy way to explain or to state a rule why words like measure and telivision the s is produced like j ..any help please? Thank you

13 Mar 2017      

yanogator
United States

When at the end of a longer word, such as "treasure" or "measure", the sound is what we in the US call "zh". 

In the ending "sion", that is the sound, also, as in "explosion" and "vision".

If the s is doubled, the sound becomes a hard "sh" sound, as in "assure" and "expression".

Bruce 

13 Mar 2017     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Whatever you do don �t do all the sounds in one lesson! :D 

Adrian Underhill has great videos on youtube on pronunciation, check them out. The problem is they are not labelled according to sound, but anyway every English teacher on earth should watch them, regardless of whether or not they are native speakers.  

You can let students hear the different consanants sounds and learn the symbols using this chart: https://elt.oup.com/student/englishfile/intermediate/c_pronunciation/pronunciation03?cc=us&selLanguage=en

13 Mar 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Measure is a root word and television derives from the root word televise, with the -sion suffix

Maybe you can create word lists for your young students to memorise the different spelling patterns and pronunciations

measure - pleasure - treasure all have the same spelling pattern and /zh/ sound. 

leisure -  seizure are one-offs (and leisure is pronounced differently with AE and BE)

Words with an -ion suffix have rules and you can find a list of those here. Television (televise), revision (revise), confusion (confuse), division (divide) etc are all pronounced with the /zh/ sound 

You will find an excellent explanation here on teflpedia

13 Mar 2017     

Mouna mch
Algeria

Thank you for your help.. I really appreciate it :)

13 Mar 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Mouna,

To help your class with the pronunciation of �zh�.

BRITISH ENGLISH

One-syllable words with �zh� at the BEGINNING.

Jacques.

One-syllable words with �zh� at the END.

Beige; luge; rouge.

Two-syllable words with �zh� in the MIDDLE.

Asian; azure; closure; Freisian; fusion; leisure; lesion; measure; Persian; pleasure; seizure; suasion. treasure, version; vision.

Two-syllable words with �zh� at the END.

Collage; corsage; garage; massage; mirage.

Three-syllable words with �zh� in the MIDDLE.

Aversion; casual; collision; composure; conclusion; corrosion; decision; division; erosion; explosion; inclusion; treasury; visual.

Three-syllable words with �zh� at the END.

Camouflage; concierge; entourage; sabotage.

I hope that this helps you a little bit.

Les

13 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Les �s great examples apply to American English, as well.

13 Mar 2017