Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP NEEDED!!!!     

HELP NEEDED!!!!

Jessisun
Argentina

HELP NEEDED!!!!

Hi! I need your help. I work in a primary school in Argentina. I �m the 6th graders � teacher. This week I �ve started off the English classes and I �m getting to know my new students. A few days ago, I was checking attendance and I taught my students to say �Here � when their names were called out.  One student told me their 5th grade teacher had taught them to say �Present � instead of �Here � when they were called out by the teacher. I �m not sure about this, that �s why I �m asking for your help. 
Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.
Warm regards from Argentina, 
                                                       Jess 

15 Mar 2017      

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

I would recommend you  to use the variant "present".

16 Mar 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Here Miss � is absolutely fine... I don �t understand why not?   �Present Miss � is also fine. Some students prefer to say, �Good morning/afternoon � in which case I return the greeting. 

16 Mar 2017     

EstherLee76
Peru

Here and present are both fine.

16 Mar 2017     

EstherLee76
Peru

BTW the opposite would be "not here" or "absent".  Sometimes the other students will volunteer that when they know their classmates are absent.

16 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Although �here � and �present � are both fine, present sounds more elegant to me, so while I would not insist on the students saying   �present � I would encourage it.

16 Mar 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mary, that �s interesting. Now that I think about it, quite often students just say �Yes �. In my experience, teachers like that to be followed with Miss or Sir, to show respect. We �take the register � or �do the register � and it �s a real treat for a student to be asked to take it; they love that, but you have to double check and do a head count at the end! 
I found this which might be interesting.

16 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Very interesting link, Lynne. 

16 Mar 2017     

chikymartel
Spain

My dear friend, they are both fine, �here � is more used in USA and �present � is more common in UK

16 Mar 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Well, down here at the bottom of the world in my particular neck of the woods, we mark the roll and students generally respond with here or yes. Present is old fashioned and I haven�t heard it for donkey�s years.

16 Mar 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with Jayho. �Present � is a bit stiff and old fashioned - my neck of the woods is England.

17 Mar 2017