Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ñ    

Ñ

Garibaldina
Argentina

Ñ

Hi!

How do you spell ñ in English?

Thanks for your help

21 Mar 2017      

douglas
United States

Right or not, we usually just write it as an "n" (e.g. "pinata" or "manana")

22 Mar 2017     

ldeloresmoore
China

We don ´t have a tilde, so if we have that sound in an English word, we ´d just use the letters that make that sound in combination --- ny -- together.....

But few English words actually HAVE that sound. I tried to think of one to give as an example, and I can ´t think of any right off....

22 Mar 2017     

douglas
United States

In English, we also use "nu" to get the sound (e.g. tenure), but not when trying to write a Spanish word in English.

22 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

22 Mar 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Garibaldina:

As others have said, we don ´t normally use the tilde accent, ‘~’, in English. But we have incorporated numerous words of Spanish origin into the English language, and have often anglicised them: ´chocolate ´, (originally ‘xocolatl’ ), ‘cockroach’ (‘cucaracha’),’embargo’ (from ‘embargar’ = to bar), etc.

We also have numerous words with the medial ´enn-yay ´ sound in them ... ´onion ´, ´union ´, ´bunion ´, ´minion ´, ´dominion ´, ‘communion’, Runyan’, ´Trinian ´, ‘Bannion’, etc.

We have also incorporated into English, (unchanged), several Spanish words containing the Spanish accented ‘n’, ‘ñ’. Here are several, but there are also others.

añu, cañon, Doña, El Niño, jalapeño, La Niña, malagueña, mañana, Montaño, piña colada, piñata, piñon, piraña, señor, señora, señorita, vicuña.

I hope that this helps you a little.

My apologies to hispanohablantes if I have made any errors.

Les

22 Mar 2017     

Garibaldina
Argentina

Thanks for your answers. I know about this. I haven ´t made myself clear. We are studying the alphabet and a student of mine wants to spell his surname: Peña - he wants to know how to say / pronounce ñ when he is spelling it. If he were in the States or the UK what would he have to say so that the other person could spell it correctly? Thanks in advance.

22 Mar 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Garibaldina,

I would suggest that he says, "My name is spelled P, E, N with an  accent over the N, like this, (´drawing ´ the tilde in the air with his finger). We call it ENN-YAY, and then finally, A".

Alternatively, he could simply spell it "P  E  ENN-YAY  A.

But I think that few people would understand what he meant, (although I may be wrong).

Possibly, a better idea would be to write his name on a piece of paper, in Block Capitals, (Upper Case), with the tilde clearly written, and show it.

This is the best that I can do. 

Les

22 Mar 2017     

yanogator
United States

Depending on who he is talking to, he might have to explain that Spanish contains a letter that is not found in English. He would probably have to say  Pee, Ee, En with a squiggle over it, which makes the sound of ni in onion, Ay. Now, that ´s with the English spelling of those sounds. To your student, it would be  Pi, I, En..., Ei.

Does that help? In the US, people aren ´t very tolerant of other languages, so they Amerianize things. For example, most people here say jalapino instead of  jalapeño, even beginning the word with an English "h" sound instead of a Spanish "j" sound.

Does this help>

Bruce 

22 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

If it is a young person spelling, "n with a squiggle on top" is a nice way to say it; if the speaker is an adult, he should say "n tilde".

23 Mar 2017     

yanogator
United States

Mary, you ´re too sophisticated. If he says "n tilde", most people in the US will say WHAT???

Bruce 

23 Mar 2017     

1    2    Next >