Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A silly question    

A silly question

asungilsanz
Spain

A silly question

Hello!

Is it possible to say �I phoned her�ten minutes ago but I got her voicemail. She must have her phone switched off�. Or ��Her phone must be switched off� is the only correct way to express that?
Thank you!�

28 Mar 2017      

redcamarocruiser
United States

You can say, "She must have her phone switched off�. "

28 Mar 2017     

asungilsanz
Spain

Thanks for answering, Mary! 

28 Mar 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Asungilsanz,

Is it possible to say �I phoned her ten minutes ago but I got her voicemail. She must have her phone switched off�. Or �Her phone must be switched off� is the only correct way to express that?

I always feel uncomfortable when a student in my class asks: �What is the correct way to say XYZ?�. The question makes it appear that the student believes that there is only ONE WAY to express a thought. Consequently, there can be only ONE answer. There is no room for: �It depends on � ��, or, �In my opinion � ��, or, �What I usually say is � ��

When I am asked a question in this form, I sometimes reply: �What is the correct way to kiss a baby?� The answer is, of course, �There are dozens of ways of kissing a baby!�

Let me make it clear that if the question relates to a generally accepted fixed grammatical/pronunciation/punctuation/etc. rule, then often, there IS only ONE answer. But, in my opinion, not in this case.

Here are some of my suggestions: �I phoned her ten minutes ago but I got her voicemail.

1. She must have her phone switched off�. (Passive voice: Present, �This is the situation�.)

2. She must have switched off her phone�. (Active voice: Past, �That is what she has done�.)

3. Her phone must be switched off. (Passive voice: Present, �This is the situation�.)

4. She may have her phone switched off�. (Passive voice: Present, �This is a possible situation�.)

5. She may have switched off her phone�. (Active voice: Past, �That is what she has done � it�s possible�.)

6. Her phone may be switched off. (Passive voice: Present, �This is a possible situation�.)

7. She might have her phone switched off�. (Passive voice: Present, �This is a less probable situation�.)

8. She might have switched off her phone�. (Active voice: Past, �That is what she has done � but it�s less probable�.)

9. Her phone might be switched off. (Passive voice: Present, �This is a less probable situation�.)

10. She could have switched off her phone�. (Active voice: Past, �That could be what she has done!�.)

11. Her phone could be switched off. (Passive voice: Present, �That could be what has happened�.)

There are probably several other possibilities. If this were a genuine situation, I would say: �She has probably switched off her phone�.

I hope that I haven�t confused matters for you by offering my opinion.

All the Best.

Les Douglas

28 Mar 2017     

Jayho
Australia

It might not even be switched off. She could also be out of range (of a cell phone tower) or on another call.

29 Mar 2017     

asungilsanz
Spain

Thank you�Les for your thorough and detailed answer. Of course there are often many different ways of expressing thoughts and that �s what I always tell my students to do, �if you can �t find the�way to say something, you should change the words and try to say it in a different way�. But this time it was me who was stuck. I had been marking exams for�nearly 4�hours, the expected answer in the exam was: �Her phone must be switched off� �and I suddenly felt confused with the other answer. I knew it was grammatically correct but I just couldn �t decide�whether it was 100% correct,�since I �m not a native speaker. Or maybe I was exhausted...!

Thanks�again for taking time to answer my question and thanks on behalf of all the members here that you help every day!

All the best
Maria Jes�s�
Thanks to you too, Jayho!

29 Mar 2017     

HARIM
Morocco

" She must have had her phone off " is the right tense form since you are talking about a past action to express past certainty
Good luck 

29 Mar 2017