Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

Ertatu
Romania

help

Hi. Could you please tell me which is the right question: What �s your best friend �s name? or What is the name of your best friend? Thank you.

4 Apr 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What �s your best friend �s name? 

4 Apr 2017     

FrauSue
France

You could also say, "What �s your best friend called?"

4 Apr 2017     

MCGO
United States

What �s your best friend �s name? ( Speaking)

What is the name of your best friend? ( writing) 

4 Apr 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

"What �s your best friend called" doesn �t really work in American English in this instance because it doesn�tmean quite the same thing as "what �s your best friend �s name."  What a person is called is the nickname that he goes by.

Edit: I just learned that it is acceptable in British English. Thank you Lynne and Frau Sue. 

4 Apr 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

"What �s the name of your best friend" can be used in spoken English if, for example, you cannot recall his name. You could ask. "What �s the name of your best friend, [again]?" 

4 Apr 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Called � is fine in British English. �What �s he called? � �What are you called? � .. This is just the same as �what �s your name? �

Of course, you don �t need to use the genitive case, you can always go the long way round, as Mary says and there would need to be considerations for that, or it sounds very stinted and un-English.  

4 Apr 2017     

FrauSue
France

And thanks to you, redcamarocruiser, I �ve just learnt something else that I didn �t know about US English! :)

4 Apr 2017