Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Sore    

Sore

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Sore

Hello,

Can somebody please tell me what this sentence means/suggests;

When you wake up sore, coughing and have that achy and feverish muscle feeling... 

Is the word sore used correctly? Does it mean in pain or is it just not the right word �
Thank you for your answers- and have a nice Saturday evening. 

9 Apr 2017      

Shalottslady
Belgium

Hi Zvonka.rink,
the word is correctly used here. When doubting (or simply not knowing the meaning of a certain word), I often simply look it up on a good online dictionary. Here �s what I found for �sore �: 
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sore
I hope this helps.
Best wishes,

9 Apr 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Shalottslady. " Sore" is correct. You can wake up sore (hurting) from overexercising, being bruised in a fight, being injured in an accident, sleeping in a funny (an uncomfortable) position. I wouldn �t say "feverish muscle feeling". I would say, "When you wake up sore and coughing, with a fever and aching/[achy] muscles..."

9 Apr 2017     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Shalottslady and redcamarocruiser,

Thank you for your help. I had looked up the meaning of sore in the very same dictionary before I posted the question, however, what bothered me was the use of sore with nouns: sore eyes, sore feet, sore throat, etc  Anyway, my  text is about influenza and I expected the words beginning with s .... such as

When you wake up S........(sneezing, stiff, sick, sweaty..), coughing, and have that achy, feverish, can �t move a muscle feeling, how do you know whether you  have a cold or influenza? 

I just want to make sure that the word sore is OK.

Thank you once again. 

9 Apr 2017     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Zvonka,
Although you have used "sore" correctly, we usually use achy or aching, as Mary suggested, when talking about the symptoms of influenza (which we usually call "the flu"). "Sore" is usually used for a localized pain, as you mentioned.

Bruce 

9 Apr 2017     

Shalottslady
Belgium

I �ve just gone running for a few miles and forgot to stretch before... I �m sure I �ll be sore tomorrow ;)

�a sore throat � is a very common combination meaning the most common thing a painful throat can be... painful ;)  

9 Apr 2017