Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Difference between "for..." and "during..."    

Difference between "for..." and "during..."

hieu_ngoc
Canada

Difference between "for..." and "during..."

Could someone please explain the difference between "for the past few years..." and "during the past few years..."

Thanks!

21 Apr 2017      

valodra
France

Hello!
Wow...difficult - for me at least ;-)))
I usually use the question words : How long ? = for ;  When ? = during.

eg : How long have you been working ? - For the past few years. ( I might not have always worked in this period of time...)
       When ? - During the past few years. ( period of time : I �ve worked from beginning to end...)

Not quite sure about this !!
I �ll check the answers to your message - then ;-))) Sorry for not being very helpful !
Val 

21 Apr 2017     

yanogator
United States

Val,
Sometimes being quick is more useful than being completely right. You knew that others would contribute after you, so that your answer wouldn �t be the only one, so it �s a good thing. Prepositions are difficult in every language, so explaining them is never easy.

First of all, we don �t often use the expression "during the past few years". There �s definitely nothing wrong with it, but its meaning is very specific, so it isn �t all that useful. "During" is used to describe something that happens within a specified time period, with an emphasis on "within", when used with a period of time, or "at the same time as" when used with an event.

During the Civil War, women in the US wore hoop skirts. ("During" here means that the fashion happened at the same time as the war, although in this case it wasn �t limited to exactly that time.

During my lecture, two students in the back were looking at their phones.

Please visit me during my office hours. (within my office hours)

During the past few years, I �ve had two periods of unemployment. (within that time period). I can �t say "for the past few years", because I wasn �t unemployed that whole time.

During the past few years, that country has had three revolutions. (within the period)
For the past few years, that country has been very unsettled. (over the whole period)

Bruce 

21 Apr 2017     

valodra
France

Tnank you, Bruce : very clear, useful....and kind ;-))
Have a nice Sunday,
Val 

23 Apr 2017     

FrauSue
France

Yes - I also teach my students to think about the difference between "during" as a section of time and "for" as the whole time. I usually draw a timeline on the board and colour in a section for "during" or the whole block for "for."

My friend came to stay during the summer holidays. (Maybe he came for 3 days, or a week.)
My friend came to stay for the summer holidays. (I hosted him for 8 weeks!) 

23 Apr 2017