Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > GRAMMAR QUESTION    

GRAMMAR QUESTION

monder78
Poland

GRAMMAR QUESTION

Hello
I am wondering whether  the  two  sentences below  can be used interchangeably :
There are hardly  any   stalls  at the market  today.
There are almost  none stalls at the market today.  
So long. 

6 May 2017      

kohai
Latvia

I think the second sentence is not correct grammatically. Cambridge Dictionary says:
None is the pronoun form of no. None means �not one� or �not any�. We use it as a pronoun to replace countable and uncountable nouns. We use it as subject or object.. 

Typical error. We don�t use none directly before nouns. We use no+noun or none of+noun:
No children in my group caused any trouble. (Or None of the children in my group...) 
Not: None children in my group �

P.S. It seems I haven�t kept my promise... Dear Les, Lynne, Falafel, that is your fault, too!

6 May 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Kohai is right. The second sentence would be There are almost no stalls at the market today, but it sounds strange to use almost.
There are practically no stalls sounds a little better, but the first sentence is the most usual way to say there are hardly any stalls at the market today.. 

6 May 2017     

encebrasenglish
Spain

Kohai is correct, you don �t place none directly in front of a noun. 

7 May 2017     

monder78
Poland

Yes, it is the answer I expected. Thank you.

7 May 2017     

lovedogs
Argentina

SO PRETTY AND CUTE DOG, I LOVE IT.

10 May 2017