Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Where or Which    

Where or Which

Mastery-Sparkling
Morocco

Where or Which

Hello, Please I am really in need of help. How can you explain to students the difference between "which" and "where" - in a very simple way -when they refer to a place. E.g. This is the bank where my father works. This is the bank which was robbed./ was built last year. In the second setence, students will write where instead of which. I am looking forward to your answers and explanations. Thank you in advance

11 May 2017      

sarahetta
Morocco

General tips to understand the structure: 
1- Where cannot be used before a main verb, while which can.
2- Try to put the noun which is modified into the relative clause. If it takes in/on or at preposition in front of itself, you need a "WHERE" or "prep + which" as a relative adverb.

11 May 2017     

sarahetta
Morocco

Look at these examples:
J : I live in a building which has 40 storeys .
M : I live in a building where has 40 storeys.

If you want to use "where" instead of "which" in the above sentence, follow the structural rule of a main clause :

Subject + finite verb:
M : I live in a building where there are 40 storeys.

Some students see "which" and "where" as equivalent when they are used as relative pronouns. Although "which" and "where" may be similar in meaning in some cases, they require different structural elements when they are used as relative pronouns.

A relative adverb [ "where" is here a relative adverb] can be used instead of a relative pronoun plus preposition. This often makes the sentence easier to understand .

e.g.:
1.This is the shop in which I bought my bike.
2.This is the shop where I bought my bike

"Where"[ "when" and "why", as well] are not omitted in non-defying relative clauses. Where, when and why can be used instead of a relative pronoun after a noun.

"In which" and "where" are interchangeable but not always.

Notice these changes:

"In which"/" at which" can become "where" when describing places.
e.g. There are many universities in the U.S. and other countries in which/ where AI research is being conducted.
but Acoustics is a branch of Physics in which the properties of sounds are studied. (why not "where"?Because it does not define the place)
Airports are places at which/ where special attention is paid
to the weather.
but The temperature at which water boils depends on the pressure. (Why not "where"? Because it does not define the place or location]

11 May 2017     

FrauSue
France

"Where" can usually be replaced by "in which" or "at which."
This is the bank where my father works.
This is the bank at which my father works.
In both cases, you answer the question "where?" - Where does your father work?

"Which" answers the question "what?"
This is the bank which was robbed. --> What was robbed? The bank.

This is the park which my father likes best. -- What does he like best? 
This is the park where my father relaxes.  -- Where does he relax?

12 May 2017