Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Teaching Polite Replies - How to Accept/Turn Down Party Invitation    

Teaching Polite Replies - How to Accept/Turn Down Party Invitation

worldangel
Singapore

Teaching Polite Replies - How to Accept/Turn Down Party Invitation

Hi all,

This website has been very helpful to me so far and I would like to ask if any of you have any ideas/suggestions on how to teach grade 3 students how to give polite replies when they are accepting or rejecting an invitation to a party. I am thinking of role play but is there any way to make it more exciting? Thanks in advance! Smile

7 Mar 2009      

lizzysil
Peru

I ran out of time but here you have

Smile   I �D LOVE TO,  I �D LIKE TO , OF COURSE , GREAT , THANK YOU SO MUCH , THAT �S GREAT

Cry No way , it �s not fair , no i wouldn �t , no thanks , thank you but no thank you , i would not like, it �s impossible for me , that �s not good , i �d love to , but I can �t

and if i have more i will send you. Have a nice weekend byeeeeeeeeeee

7 Mar 2009     

Apodo
Australia

Accepting or rejecting an invitation to a party:

This would be a simple way to do it. Party invitations are often written, so here is a note in reply.
With the negative response you could give a reason if you wish, for example. �My family will be away on that weekend. �

Dear ........
Thank you very much for your kind invitation.
I would love to come to your party on ....date.... 
....Name......

Dear ........
Thank you for the invitation to your party.
I �m very sorry, but I won �t be able to come on that day.
Thanks again,
...Name....

These given examples would sound rather impolite:
No way , it �s not fair , no i wouldn �t , no thanks , thank you but no thank you , i would not like

Spoken negative responses could be:

I�m sorry but I won�t be able to come.

I�d love to come, but my family is going to the beach on that day.

Spoken positive responses could be:

Thanks. That�d be great!

Yes, I�d love to come. Thank you.

8 Mar 2009     

worldangel
Singapore

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions :) The lesson will need to be an oral lesson though. So I will be teaching them those polite responses then I will have to come up with an activity to let them practise replying using those polite replies.

I have come up with an idea yesterday using fairy tales. I will divide them into groups of 4 - 5 each and give each group a scenario card. The scenario is mostly based on fairy tales ie one pupil in the group will need to pretend to be Cinderella, being asked to attend the dance party by Charming Prince. She will then need to think of a polite reply if she would like to accept/reject the invitation.

What do you all think? Tongue

8 Mar 2009     

Apodo
Australia

Yes fairytales would work. Are your students 8 or 9 years old? I thought of this:-

You could get your students to pretend they are having a party--the one of their dreams Smile. They could choose their own theme and invite other students. They would have to explain if there was to be a fancy dress party, a barbecue in a park, a disco or a swimming pool party and tell them what to wear or bring. If you want just a few do to the inviting you could use the students whose birthdays are nearest to the day you do the lesson.
The others could then respond.

I �d be happy to come.
Thank you very much. I �d like that.
Really? A party at McDonald �s. That �d be terrific. Thanks!

8 Mar 2009     

worldangel
Singapore

thanks for the idea :) My students are 9 years old.

8 Mar 2009