Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "The widow" by Robert Southey    

"The widow" by Robert Southey

cagriyurttas
Turkey

"The widow" by Robert Southey

hello everyone!

I am studying on a poem to teach highschool students but I can �t find anything academic about it. Can you please help me about the sources and some teaching ideas?

"The Widow" by Robert Southey 

Thanks in advance. 

5 Jun 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There �s not much on the net about that! I found this link,but it �s just a comment.
There �s a skit on it, I expect you know, will get that link up.
It �s a very simple poem, written to evoke sympathy and pity. Is he criticising the system, or just focusing on the widow herself?
I would ask the kids to look out the alliteration with �w � in stanza 1, that starts with the title. Stanza 2 starts off with alliteration on �d �. In stanza 4 and 5, there is repetition of �Once �, listing the things in life she once had and has now lost. it �s a short, summary word. A few more things to highlight: the evocative words describing the downs - drear, wide, bleak. Play on �oh � sound, which is a sorrowful exclamation - �cold snows �. Short last line of each stanza, brings us up short to realise the awful finality and hopelessness of her situation. The pathetic fallacy (is this the term when Nature reflects the human�s feelings???) - the scene reflects the widow �s position - �shelterless/naked �. The uncaring attitude of the passersby in the carriage. Contrast this with the story of the good Samaritan, which all the poet �s readers would be well aware of. Depending on how long you have on this poem, I would have a look at the poet �s life, which is very varied and interesting. 

6 Jun 2017     

cagriyurttas
Turkey

Dear Cunliffe,
 thank you so much for your help. 

6 Jun 2017     

aftab57
United Kingdom

As Cunliffe says not much on net but here are some comments from people

8 Jun 2017