Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Using will be    

Using will be

mahlove
Japan

Using will be

Hello! I just want to ask the difference of these two How will be the weather tomorrow? How will the weather be tomorrow? Thank you in advance.

19 Jun 2017      

douglas
United States

The first isn �t corrrect, the second is.

20 Jun 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Mahlove,

I agree with Douglas.

Of the two choices given, "How will the weather be tomorrow?" is correct.

Les Douglas 

20 Jun 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Or in British English, �What will the weather be like tomorrow? � or as we may say, �What �s it going to do tomorrow? � 

20 Jun 2017     

FrauSue
France

I agree with Lynne - "how" sounds odd in this situation. I would use "what + like" as well.

20 Jun 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Lynne and FrauSue.

I agree with you both ... "What will the weather be like tomorrow?" is probably one of the many phrases which a British person could use when discussing tomorrow �s weather.

However, the question was: "I just want to ask the difference of these two".

If Mahlove had been asking for general advice, then your answers were admirable.

What if she/he is asking for specific advice regarding these two sentences only?

I have sometimes had problems, (on a couple of occasions SERIOUS problems), with a student who, when answering an exam question, didn �t answer the question, but answered another similar question which was in his/her head.

On one occasion, a student who explained to me that the exam question was �incorrect �, received zero marks from an examining body.

I advised her, "Next time, answer the question that you are asked".

I repeat, your comments were accurate and helpful, and I agree with you.

Les 

20 Jun 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Les, 

I couldn �t agree with you more! Douglas and you answered that question. I was just pointing out that American English and British English are a bit different on this. They do say, �How �s the weather? � and I think it �s catching on here as well, but mainly, we do say, (in England anyway) �What �s the weather like? � In Scotland, they say, �It �s going to rain. � 

20 Jun 2017     

mahlove
Japan

Thank you for all your explanations but we use American English here. Dauglas "How will be the weather tomorrow" is not correct but my assistant told me that native speakers use that in a conversation more often than How will the weather be tomorrow? He �s from America. I �m confused with his explanation.

20 Jun 2017     

Jayho
Australia

How will be the weather tomorrow sounds very unnatural but not unheard of. It seems to me that your assistant perhaps has it round the wrong way.

20 Jun 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Lynne,

In class, I am sometimes asked how it is possible to tell, here in the UK, that summer has arrived.

I answer: "You can always tell when it �s summer in England, because the rain is warmer!"

Les 

20 Jun 2017     

kwsp
United States

When people ask, "What will the weather be like tomorrow?" the answer should be something like rainy, windy, warm, etc. If someone asks, "How will the weather be tomorrow?" the reply should be "Good!" (We will have good weather!) or "It�s supposed to be bad," or maybe something like, "Ehhh" meaning it will be so so.

I understand why you�re confused. I agree with Jayho that your assistant might have it mixed up.

20 Jun 2017     

1    2    3    Next >