Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A doubt     

A doubt

beefeater
Albania

A doubt

Is this sentence correct? Mr. Fox told them to do not lose their heads. Or is it: Mr. Fox told them not to lose their heads? Thank you so much!!

28 Jun 2017      

redcamarocruiser
United States

"Mr. Fox told them not to lose their heads," is the correct answer.

edited: I agree with slw1403�s answer below.

28 Jun 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

What would reported speech of "Do not lose your heads!" be? 
Thanks.

28 Jun 2017     

slw1403
Germany

The reported speech of that would be: He told them not to lose their heads.

28 Jun 2017     

yanogator
United States

Excellent answers.

Also, beefeater, what you have is a question or a confusion, not a doubt. I try to spread the word among our members that a doubt is a belief that something is not true, rather than an uncertainty.

I doubt that all of your students speak English fluently.

I doubt that this message will reach everyone in our wonderful ESL community, so I repeat it occasionally.

Bruce  :) 

28 Jun 2017     

douglas
United States

@Bruce--Would you really say "I have a confusion"?  (It sounds strange to me, I think I would say: "I �m confused about...")

29 Jun 2017     

yanogator
United States

No, Douglas, but that is what beefeater has. I would rather hear that than "I have a doubt". Baby steps, my friend.

Bruce   

29 Jun 2017     

valodra
France

Thank you for repeating, Bruce :-S - No doubt !!
Maybe the confusion comes from the fact that - at least in French, & I guess in many other languages... - you CAN have .." un doute". :-(
Thanks to people like Bruce ( & other native speakers ) , I �m very careful with " doubt" now..... For French speaking people, I think we can translate " j �ai un doute " with " I have a question " , or I Wonder.... ??? ( verb douter in French = not be sure about Something or someone...)
 Just to check if I got it right : " I doubt my message is very useful. " ;-)))
Val 

29 Jun 2017     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Val, but I doubt that it is as un-useful as you suspect.

Bruce   :)

29 Jun 2017