Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me with this    

Please help me with this

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Please help me with this

Dear colleagues, Please help me with this. Does " to be in one �s late sixties" mean " at the age of 66 to 69"? Thank you in advance. Qui

24 Jul 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, it does. 

24 Jul 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Qui, 

I agree entirely with Lynne (cunliffe).

We can say: 

"He is in his late sixties" = "He is between the age of 66 and 69", but, we are NOT specifying his exact age! This is because, either, we don �t know it, or we don �t want to say what his exact age is.

In the same way, we can refer to "late childhood"; "late teens"; "late twenties"; "late thirties";"late forties";"late fifties";"late seventies";"late eighties"; and "late nineties".

In an exactly similar way, we can refer to:

"He is in his early sixties" = "He is between the age 60 and 65".

And similarly, for the other ages : "Early childhood"; "early teens"; and "early twenties" to "early nineties",

Les Douglas 

24 Jul 2017     

douglas
United States

And what if he is in his mid-sixties?

Someone that is 66 would probabaly not like to be described as  "in their late sixties". So, though Les is absolutely right from the technical perspective, I suggest one  use "late sixties" for people well into their 68th year (i.e. 67.5+ years) and "mid sixties" for those from 64-67.

Just my 2 cents,
Douglas

24 Jul 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Good point, Douglas. 

24 Jul 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Douglas is correct in introducing the phrase, "Mid-sixties", for the years, approximately, 64 to 67. We can also use "mid- ... " for all the other ages mentioned.

However, different people have different opinions about age, and how they would prefer to be described.

Thank you, Douglas.

Les Douglas 

24 Jul 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

How about �forever young �? Wouldn �t it be nice?

24 Jul 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Lynne,

"Forever young? Wouldn �t it be nice?"

For ever ... a baby? ... Pooing, peeing, burping, vomiting, being changed ... constantly crying ... but often receiving nice, happy, loving cuddles.
Yes! I think so! 

For ever ... a child? ... Going to school, coming back from school, doing homework, crying ... constantly hungry ... but often laughing, playing, and being tucked up in bed by a lovely Mam.
Yes! I think so!

For ever ... a teenager? ... Being bullied, being alone, falling in love but your love is not returned, trying to make friends ... constantly lonely ... but then you meet someone special, who changes your life.
Yes! I think so!

For ever ... a  young man? ... Working, studying at night classes, failing professional exams, studying at home, night and day, failing again ... constantly despairing ... but then you go back home to the Paradise in your life.
Yes! I think so!

Or, would you rather be, for ever ... an old person? ... Having money, having your own house, having a family, having security, and respect, and position ... constantly working ... but still lonely, because, you have no-one close to you, to share it with.

What do you think?

... That is a rhetorical question that needs no answer!

Les 

24 Jul 2017     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Thank you so much. Qui

24 Jul 2017