Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pronunciation    

Pronunciation

noura80
Algeria

Pronunciation

Hello , colleagues. I just want to share one of my 1st year pupil �s questions.She asked:"Why do we pronounce the verbs goes and does in a different way although we write them the same?  I.E  g+ oes/ d+oes

8 Aug 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

...Also, go and do are pronounced differently... There may be a reason, but I think erm, that �s just the way it is!  Somebody posted a poem on here a while ago, with lots of these spelling/pronunciation anomalies. It might be nice to show your students that. I �ll try and find it, unless someone else beats me to it... 

Edit: Here�s a link to one of these poems; apparently there are a few.

8 Aug 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

Spelling in English doesn�t always match pronunciation and as you can see with goes and does, there are more vowel sounds in English than available letters in our alphabet to represent them separately.

There is actually some method to the apparent madness of English orthography if you care to dig deep enough. I�d recommend David Crystal�s Spell It Out as a good starting point.

8 Aug 2017     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

If a non-native may dare try to add a simple view...

Both verbs are Old English (=more or less Germanic words) and at some point in time they received Latin declensions (desinences, endings).

To make matters worse, the primitive (mostly lost) languages of the British isles were forced to adapt the Latin alphabet to their own sounds. Not always a perfect match, as you can guess.

It �s better explained by Melvyn Bragg in his book "The adventure of English", highly recomendable!

https://books.google.es/books?id=W4w6Y92du6UC&printsec=frontcover&dq=a+book+the+adventure+of+english+melvyn+bragg&hl=es&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizlvb4mcfVAhVBnBoKHahzDgsQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=a%20book%20the%20adventure%20of%20english%20melvyn%20bragg&f=false 

8 Aug 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Good points. 

8 Aug 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

Antonio, declensions are for nouns, pronouns and adjectives � not verbs. In any case, the inflected forms have nothing to do with Latin (although you�re correct about the limitations of the Latin alphabet). Have a look at this screenshot from the relevant entry in the OED (it�s a bit technical, but it will give you some idea of how these forms developed):

8 Aug 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Here �s another such poem:

Picking up on the Germanic theme, I have students asking why some verbs add -ed to form the past and others change the middle bit: swim, swam etc - apparently that is based on German. I study Romance languages, so didn �t really follow this up. Is that true and maybe a bit more info about that would be interesting? 

8 Aug 2017     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Interesting indeed...

Past Simple in today �s German (Präteritum) is usually formed by adding verb endings, the most common being "t" based:

Ich brauche = I need
Ich brauchte = I needed

However, a vowel change is often performed together with this "t" ending:

Ich denke = I think
Ich dachte = I thought 

In some cases there is vowel swap but no "t" addition:
Ich komme = I come
Ich kam = I came 

The last example is clearly English-looking, but my German is too poor -over to some German- or Dutch-speaking collegue? 

8 Aug 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

As Reg Dwight said in a comment, they have different historical pronunciations:

the "o" in go was originally an /ɑː/, while the "o" in do and to was originally an /oː/. So they were always different to begin with, and even 

the Great Vowel Shift could do nothing about it, because different vowels shifted into different directions.

Go and do happen to be spelled the same because in Middle English, the time period when much of the current English spelling system was formed, 

their vowels were fairly similar (/ɔː/ and /oː/ respectively), and there are not as many vowel letters in the alphabet as there are vowel sounds in 

English. But they have never been pronounced the same."

8 Aug 2017     

nassimproff
Algeria

Personally ,I make ppls notice that even one letter can be pronouced in differnt  ways and when some ppls ask such qqs i say "khlikat rabi" and i make ppls laugh .I say that there are qqs which we can �t answer ,it �s just like this (i refer to arabic  i say why is the subject - marffou. and the objet - mansoub ,

8 Aug 2017     

noura80
Algeria

Thanks a lot friends.I �ll check the given resources for myself.
I wanted to find a simple explanation for the little kid.
I toled her that the vowel o sound gives a different sound with the consonant sound of  g  and

8 Aug 2017     

1    2    Next >