Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Used to     

Used to

KHAWLA ALZIOD
Jordan

Used to

I would be grateful if anyone helped me discussing the correctness of the following ... .

Did you used to ...?
I did not used to ...

Is the construction of the sentences correct  ?
Please , explain  " why ? "   if yes ... 

12 Sep 2017      

L. habach
Morocco

Did you use to walk to school when you were a kid?
I didn �t use to wear a uniform when I was a student.
NB. We always use the infininitive form (without �to �) after the auxiliary "do/does/doesn �t/did/did �t)

12 Sep 2017     

kohai
Latvia

I recently searched for the answer to this. I liked this one from http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/past/used-to 

Questions

The most common form of question is auxiliary did + use(d) to. Many people consider the form with a final -d to be incorrect, and you should not use it in exams:

I think we met once, a couple of years ago. Did you use to work with Kevin Harris?

Didn’t she used to live in the same street as us? (Don’t use this form in written exams.)

Negative: didn’t use to

The negative of used to is most commonly didn’t use(d) to. Sometimes we write it with a final -d, sometimes not. Both forms are common, but many people consider the form with the final -d to be incorrect, and you should not use it in exams:

It didn’t use to be so crowded in the shops as it is nowadays.

I didn’t used to like broccoli when I was younger, but I love it now. (Don’t use this form in exams.)

12 Sep 2017     

maryse pey�
France

Well, I remember to be taught the expression "to BE used to".

That way the auxiliary is BE and USED to is a past participle. It is like a passive form.

When I was young I (was) used to walk every day = today I am not used to walk every day any more.
Well if you go to live in Great Britain you will have to be used to drive on the left.

What did you use to make your cake ? Vanilla and sugar or only sugar ?

I am not sure about your question. I mean are you thinking of an habit or of what you need to use for a specific work ?

12 Sep 2017     

james32
Morocco

Used to + infinitive 

indicates something that happened regularly in the past, but doesn’t happen now.

But  Today I am not used to walk every day any more.
         To be used to drive on the left.
These two sentences aren �t grammatically correct because be /get used to must be followed by  gerund.
  I am not used to walking every day.
  To be used to driving on the left.

12 Sep 2017     

douglas
United States

This worksheet by Svetlana is very helpful (I �ve used it many tiems in the classroom and it was well accepted/easy for the students to understand) and may shed some light on the subject:

Cheers,
Douglas

13 Sep 2017     

james32
Morocco

used to + infinitive and be /get used to + gerund don �t have the same meaning.
Used to + infinitive indicates something that happened regularly in the past but doesn �t happen now.
when I was young, I used to smoke (now I don �t smoke)
Be /get used to + gerund means be accustomed to something or to doing something. You are familiar with it because you have done it or experienced it many times before.
I am used to getting up early.

13 Sep 2017