Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day Competition    

Word of the Day Competition

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Word of the Day Competition

Anyone fancy reviving the Word of the Day? Let �s see! Remember - we don �t want the real meaning of the word. Your job is to make up a silly, sensible, incredulous, or amazing daffynition for the word... It can be a verb, an adjective, an adverb, whatever you like. I will judge the winner soon. And without further ado, your word is:

HUGGER-MUGGER!

8 Oct 2017      

maryse pey�
France

I know ! I know ! This is someone completely crazy about beer and who can �t help hugging every mug of beer he is drinking.

8 Oct 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

This is one of those deplorable individuals that runs up to people about to embrace and jumps in the middle to get a free hug. Disgraceful behaviour, but ever since they put me on that course of treatment it �s been happening less frequently.  

8 Oct 2017     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Spinney, !

8 Oct 2017     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Maryse,  that could be me!

8 Oct 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hugger-mugger?

To fully understand this word you have to turn on your imagination.

You are walking in  the slums of a big city, notorious for its crime levels. 

In every dark corner you see an ugly mugger, teeth missing, eyes glowing with devilish cruelty,  holding a rusty knife in his hand.

And sure enough, here he comes: "Money or life!". You desperately search for some  money in your pockets, in your purse, in your bag! They are gone. You plead for mercy! And then you feel something warm in your belly. Is this your blood? 

You open your eyes and the warmth you felt turns out to be your loved one hugging you tight.

"It was just a nightmare, sweetheart! Just a nightmare."

Hence - "Hugger-mugger" 

:) 

8 Oct 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Hugger-Mugger."

"It is a wise, pedantic, schoolish teacher who possesses this invention to arrange sounds for minimal pairs".

"It is a prize, romantic, foolish creature who obsesses this intention to exchange hounds for criminal bears".

8 Oct 2017     

kwsp
United States

Hugger Mugger: The name for the grandmother who every time she sees your mug, she has to give you a hug.

(mug noun, informal: a person �s face) 

8 Oct 2017     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Wow guys, you �re all wasted here ! You should go profesional writers, especially Gi2gi

8 Oct 2017     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

profeSSional -damn Spanish spellcheck

8 Oct 2017     

ldeloresmoore
China

OOOhhhhhh, how I have missed this group!!  I am  back, after a bit of an absence.  Job change intermingled with other drama. 

Spinney, you beat me to my answer. :-P  

8 Oct 2017     

1    2    Next >