Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching TOEFL    

Teaching TOEFL

EstherLee76
Peru

Teaching TOEFL

Hello again,

I have a lot of questions about the TOEFL exam. I have a small business preparing students for the Cambridge Exams but some students have asked me to consider preparing them for the TOEFL and I know almost nothing about it. It seems to me that it is more or less on the Euro Framework of C1, more or less CAE, am I right? Can anyone recommend a good textbook? Teaching tips?

Thanks so much as always,

Esther

20 Oct 2017      

maryse pey�
France

https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/about

Hi Esther here is an official site to have details about this exam. It is for foreigners who want to attend a British university for example.

You must deal with several skills (written tests - test comprehension, vocabulary..., oral comprehension)

I hope this link will answer your questions.

Very good weekend.

Maryse.

20 Oct 2017     

joannajs
Poland

Hello Esther,

As a follow-up to Maryse, this is a test which is kind of similar to IELTS, so not positioned at any particular level but aimed at measuring candidates � competence whatever it may be. Thus, there is no "passing" or "failing" grade, it depends what you need. I guess nowadays the internet version is the most popular (IBT) - max score there is 120, in the computer one - max is 300. For what I know, the paper version is no longer provided ;-)
Candidates have to do reading, writing, listening and speaking. The reading and listening sections are graded i.e. put from the easiest to the most difficult like a university lecture. In the reading section for instance I remember a text about corn husking 

If I were you, I �d definitely adopt a coursebook, especially that you don �t have much experience. Macmillan has Direct to TOEFL, OXford University Press has: Oxford Preparation Course for TOEFL IBT Exam (B2-C2 level, there is an extra video you can buy to it) and Tactics for the TOEFL IBT Test(B1-C1), Cambridge University Press offers Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL test 4th ed. - just to mention a few - your choice. 

You can get some free test questions from the website - I �d take advantage.

keep my fingers crossed, joanna 

20 Oct 2017