Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grammar    

grammar

janaesl
Saudi Arabia

grammar

Can anyone help. i need to know , what is the difference between i like to try new food in the restaurant or i like to try  out new food in the  restaurant.
thanks in advance 

22 Oct 2017      

spinney
United Kingdom

Excellent question! 
I have a strange feeling that this will open up a whole can of worms. I always say that "try out" is more like saying "to test" or "to sample." But in the example you have given, try clearly means just that on its own. I have had this question before from my students and just blagged it by saying that try out indicates more enthusiasm for something different or new. I didn �t believe it for a second but it quietened them down. Any thoughts, anybody? 

Edit: And while we are at it, how do I explain the difference between "finish" and "finish up" as well as many other phrasal verbs with up? Again, I usually blag it but if anybody has a good explanation ...

22 Oct 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear janaesl,

I suggest that �to try � and �to try out � mean the same thing.

OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH, 2nd Edition, 2006.
TRY
Verb
No object. To make an attempt or effort to do something: [with infinitive] He tried to regain his breath.

With object (also try something out) use, test, or do (something new or different) in order to see if it is suitable, effective, or pleasant: Everyone wanted to know if I �d tried jellied eels. These methods are tried and tested.

THE CHAMBERS THESAURUS, 4th Edition, 2012.

TRY
Verb
(1) ATTEMPT, endeavour, venture, undertake, seek, search, strive, aim.
(2) HEAR, judge.
2) EXPERIMENT, test, try out, sample, taste, inspect, examine, investigate, evaluate.
Formal: Appraise.

TRY OUT test, evaluate, try on, check, inspect, sample, taste.
Formal: Appraise.

@Spinney:

I can find no reference to the difference between �finish � and �finish up �.

However, in regard to �finish�, CHAMBERS makes many references to colloquial phrases, which use a preposition at the end of the phrase.

EXAMPLES: wind up, polish off, pack in, wrap up, sew up, be done with, get shot of, put paid to, polish off, wipe out, wind up, over and done with, done for, etc.

It is possible, when speaking colloquially, people prefer to use multi-word verbs. This may because  the phrase becomes more forceful, when we can emphasise the final word.

"I hope that �s not how it �s going to FINish!"
"I hope that �s not how it �s going to finish UP!"

I think that the second statement sounds stronger than the first.

That is just my opinion.

I hope I have helped you, janaesl and Spinney.

Les Douglas 

22 Oct 2017     

yanogator
United States

As both Spinney and Les have made clear, there isn �t much difference between "try" and "try out". Here is the difference as I see it:

I see "try" as a simple sampling of something to determine if I like it, or just to experience it for the first time.

To me, "try out" is a stronger term, implying that my opinion of the thing sampled will have some weight. It is more a testing than a simple sampling. I would try a food that I had never had before, but I would try out a new restaurant, to see if I want to eat there more than once.

I tried various exercises while trying out the new gym.

As for the machines at the gym, I might try (sample) them to see how they work, or I might try them out (test) to see if I want to add them to my routine.

Bruce 

22 Oct 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Thx Spinney for my new word of the day: blag.  Never heard it before. I will try it out.

22 Oct 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks to Bruce and Les for confirming that I was on the right track. I �m not so sure that it will satisfy poor Janesl or my students but that �s the wonder of phrasal verbs for you.

@Jayho: Blag is common enough in London and is slightly different to the online dictionary definition (obtain through persuasion) meaning to make something up or sound convincing when not really prepared. Although the thought occurs that I have been using it incorrectly. 
Quite likely to see it used in its old, traditional meaning in crime novels from the early to mid 20th century.  

22 Oct 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree, in a context like this, �try out � is that bit stronger; you feel that there is a bit more weight attached to the trying; it �s a bit more of an experiment or experience for you. 

I �ve noticed that these days many teachers say, �Listen up! � rather than just �Listen. � Just saying! Edit: I think it makes it a bit more friendly, rather than a stark command. Stern Smile

@Bruce, I hope all that trying out new machines at the gym hasn �t worn you out too much.  Take it easy, old boy! 

23 Oct 2017     

yanogator
United States

@Lynn,
I �m much more likely to be trying out a new recipe in my kitchen than a new machine at the gym!

Bruce 

23 Oct 2017     

janaesl
Saudi Arabia

thanks everybody 

23 Oct 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Lynne Cunliffe,

You will remember that, several years ago, I founded my Language University. (Truthfully, it was never actually losted, it was just neither here nor there!)
However, as you know, "The Douglas Skool of Language �, which you have had the honour of visiting, has loudspeakers in the ceilings of every one of it �s 187 rooms, (including the Toilets).
The reason for this vast cost, is specifically, so that when some nerdy student asks:
"Teacher, why do we say:�Listen UP� ?"
I can point to the Loudspeakers in the ceiling, and say:
"THAT �S why ... because we Listen UP!"

Les Douglas 

24 Oct 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well... It �s definitely LOOK UP, as in, we all look up to you, Les and your great skool of langwich

24 Oct 2017