Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NEED HELP WITH EXPRESSION FROM A POLITICAL BOOK - AGAIN    

NEED HELP WITH EXPRESSION FROM A POLITICAL BOOK - AGAIN

ascincoquinas
Portugal

NEED HELP WITH EXPRESSION FROM A POLITICAL BOOK - AGAIN

Hello eslprintable members!

I need you help gain, please. I am cuurently reading a book about politics. Could you please help figure out what the underlined expressions mean?

I have to write an essay about it. ok!

So here is part of the text:

In the context of an election, cohabitation can occur in three ways. It can occur when concurrent presidential and legislative elections return opposing majorities, when a presidential election returns a president who is opposed to the existing legislative majority,or when a legislative election returns aparliamentary majority that is opposed to the president.

thanks so much in advance,

ASCINCOQUINS

8 Nov 2017      

yanogator
United States

First, the overall idea is that the president and legislature are members of opposing parties. That �s all that �s really important here. The underlined expressions just enumerate the three different possible scenarios. 1 is when both president and legislature are newly elected. 2 is when there is a new president, but not a new legislature. 3 is when there is a new legislature and not a new president. Below, I am re-stating what I just said, but more directly mirroring the words of the underlined expressions.

1. When the elections elect (That �s what "return" means here) a majority in the legislature of a party that opposes the president �s party.

2.  When the current legislature has a majority of its members in a certain party, and the people elect a president of an opposing party.

3.  When the newly-elected legislature has a majority of members in a party opposed to that of the incumbent president.

I hope that helps. If not, I can break it down more, or someone else might help.

Bruce 

8 Nov 2017     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Thanks so much, again!

9 Nov 2017