Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > UK school number.    

UK school number.

Shalottslady
Belgium

UK school number.

Dear colleagues,

No idea if this is allowed here. If not, I apologize in advance. Now, what �s my problem: I �d like to visit the Warner Bros Studios for Harry Potter with my students, but every year, when I call to book, they tell me I am not eligible for the free lesson (which looks like a lot of fun to me), the cheaper students � rate, the free downloadable teachers � resources etc, just because our school is not based in the UK. My students � level of English is very good (perhaps better than some UK-based schools ;) ) so I cannot understand why my students and I can �t get  all the other benefits too. Is there perhaps a UK-based school that does not visit the WB studios the unique reference number of which I can use?
Many thanks in advance!
Karina 

15 Nov 2017      

valodra
France

Hello!
I don �t see why your request wouldn �t be allowed ...? Not an answer to your question, but a similar experience - I �m afraid !
I teach in a secondary middle school, and we have a project about Harry Potter. I tried to book a visit to the studios in London, but it IS sooooooo expensive that I had to forget about the trip !  ( our families are quite poor..and so is our school )
I �ll keep on working with the Primary schools around here, and we �ll all try ( I said : TRY ...) to make a pop-up book for/with our pupils...Who are very happy about it !!! 
A real shame schools like mine - or yours..- cannot afford such prices..
But business is business!
I do hope someone will answer...
I doubt it....:-((
+ I �ve organized sooooooooo many trips to the UK....This year, ( and the year before ), I �ve had to ask for so many papers !!! It �s unbelievable ! ( photocopies of the student �s ID card ; photocopies of the parents � ID card ; photocopy of the parents �passport when the kid is NOT from Europe; etc ! etc !
Now - without any political comment ...- I do understand what leaving Europe means :-((((
I think that very soon - I �ll give up :-((
I�m not quite sure it�s about leaving Europe, but I�m sure it has to do with the many nationalities I have in my school ...
Val 

15 Nov 2017     

Shalottslady
Belgium

Oh, please, Val! Don �t give up! Our school is also one that has to stay under a certain budget and I can organize a wonderful trip for my students within that budget too, but then WB is impossible of course. Therefore, my students do a fundraiser every year. They sell pancakes and have to sell a minimum of 15 packs (average per person) in order to be able to do more of the things they would truly love. And it works! Every year, there is a competition between classes (profits remain per class, so they all want the highest discount) and they sell an average of about 30 - 40 packs per student :D 
We also stay in hostfamilies which works out a bit cheaper too than a youth hostel or hotel. The host families get paid too and are found through an organisation.
I �m sure you too can find ways to make it work. I have no idea though what to do next schoolyear when the paperwork may be different because the UK will no longer be part of the EU. Probably visas etc... I �ll see in due time :/

15 Nov 2017     

valodra
France

Hey, Shalottslady ;-))
Know what I �m doing next Saturday ??? Hum ??? I �ll sell pancakes ( yes ! ) with my kids at the main entrance of the supermarket ! :-))) ( because WE ARE going to England next May..)
I say I �ll give up every year - at the same time of year! Booo!
I �ve been working in this school ( for handicapped; or "forgotten-ones....) for about twenty years ;-)))
I know I �ll keep taking them to England - selling pancakes, Xmas trees; chocolates...That �s what I do every weekend ;-))
We are a few. And I �m getting old ;-))
Thx for your lovely message -
Education SHOULD be free. Trips abroad shouldn �t be expensive for kids. Our government USED TO help. It doesn �t - anymore.
Schools are having big problems - I heard Big firms and big bosses were OK.......
;-) 

15 Nov 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Shalottslady,

I �ve had a look at their website and unfortunately, the cheap rates etc are only available to UK schools. I can �t even download the teachers � resources before buying tickets.  With all the safeguarding procedures etc, I don �t think just giving a UK school �s ref number would work. That �s a real shame.

16 Nov 2017     

Shalottslady
Belgium

Hi Cunliffe,
I know... that �s just my point... But I can only try getting in with a URN from a UK-based school. I think, if I also have the name of the contact person of that school (and that person is aware of it), then we wouldn �t have any problems. I �ll wait a bit longer to see if anyone is willing to give me the number (it �s not as if it �s a matter of national security or an act of terrorism if a number is given ;) ) and if not, then I �ll just have to settle for the expensive rate and none of the other benefits :/
Fingers crossed I can find someone...  

16 Nov 2017     

Zora
Canada

Hi

Those "deals" are usually given by an organization who then funds the money through the Ministry of Education who then gives the rebate back to the school later on - to avoid people that aren�t from schools taking advantage of it and, I�m guessing, reselling holiday packages and making a profit.

I am imagining that the school makes an application with Warner Bros, Warner Bros gives them forms to fill out so that they can receive the deal which is probably then sent onto the school district or Ministry, and then the funds are awarded after the number of students has been confirmed. 

17 Nov 2017