Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Business Journey?    

Business Journey?

douglas
United States

Business Journey?

Hi All,

Yesterday I corrected a student and told him that, though not incorrect, it is not common to say "business journey". It is more common to say "business trip". After thinking about it, I got to wondering if it wasn �t a BrE AmE thing. So here is my question:

Is "business journey" commonly used in any part of the English speaking world?

Cheers,
Douglas

23 Nov 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Not here (the UK). I agree, it �s not wrong, but we say business trip. 

23 Nov 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Business trip for us

23 Nov 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

I always say that, generally speaking, trip is shorter than journey. I then always point out that we use trip for activities that are the reasons for travelling; e.g shopping/fishing/school/business trip.
I then tell them that we use journey to collocate with terrestrial transport, e.g. bus/train/car/coach journey.
I then use the examples bus trip and bus journey to illustrate this further.
i.e. bus trip = travelling by bus to do a series of activities (tourism, educational etc.)
      bus journey = travelling by bus
 As far as I know, that �s about it. The Cambridge collocation books say pretty much the same thing. 

I would be tempted to correct business journey although I suspect for some kind of trade mission (longer and protracted) it shouldn�t matter too much. Generally though, I wouldn�t call that a "normal" collocation. Mind you, with business English, considerable liberty in usage seems to be the norm. 

23 Nov 2017     

douglas
United States

Thanks you all, you confirmed my thoughts and suspicions. :)

I decided to go with this line of thought (partially plagiarized):

�A trip is along the lines of something done for fun/leisure or business, it�s usually quicker and more routine than a journey.

A journey is more like the Lord of the Rings, it usually implies difficult moments, perseverance, and growth.�

23 Nov 2017