Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Reading Method    

Reading Method

myzaguirre
United States

Reading Method

Hi teachers of the world! I am an ESL teacher in a Middle School. I normally get students ranging from 11 to 15 years old. This year I got two new students who don �t have a strong academic base from their country of origin. They did not go to school like most of the rest of the students in their class. They only speak their native language but don �t know how to write or read. i care for them so much and I really want them to learn the language and start from the basics. It �s being a challenge for me because English is also my second language. The way I learned or taught English is not going to help them at all. I started giving them one to one instruction and working in sounds and penmanship. However, I feel I should get them into phonics or any other reading method which could be effective for them. If you have any idea on how I can make them successful, I �ll be eternally grateful.

2 Dec 2017      

[email protected]
Australia

Hi myzaguirre,

I feel for you and your students.  I have never taught students who do not know how to read and write in their native language!  However, I would recommend teaching them like you would teaching a toddler (I have two at home who are currently learning English as their native language).

I suggest going to the library and choosing some simple books.  I know these will be aimed for toddlers, but it is a great way for your students to learn the foundations of English and by no means a way of belittling them.  You could use books that teacher the letters and sounds (e.g. A is for Apple).  You could also use books like Spot (Spot the Dog), which works on sounds and simple sentences.

I wish you and your students all the best. 

2 Dec 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Here are some links that might be useful:

Cheers

Jayho 

2 Dec 2017     

myzaguirre
United States

Thanks so much for caring! I �ll try everything you said.

4 Dec 2017