Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I need help with a class of 5 students.    

I need help with a class of 5 students.

jamie_s
Thailand

I need help with a class of 5 students.

Hi. I �ve been teaching for 3 years now in Thailand, and have taught all ages and abilities, but next week I �ve been asked to teach a class consisting of; a 40+ year old man who speaks  little English, an 8 year old girl who speaks less than him, two 13 year old boys, and a 31 year old woman who can �t speak any English.

Now, to put these students in a class together, and to teach them effectively has got me stumped. Maybe I �m thinking to much about it, and they �ve said they just want to have fun and learn anything, so any suggestions as to what I should teach.

I was thinking of starting off with basic questions and vocabulary, and take what they �ve learnt from each lesson and build on it in the next until they can make sentences or something.

What do you all think?

Absolutely any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you in advance. Thumbs Up

9 Mar 2009      

Logos
Malaysia

This seems to be a case of a school that is more interested in profits than quality of service. Classes should be based on ability, age and interest and the spectrum you have here is far far too broad.  I know this doesn �t help very much but I think you need to tell the school what on earth do they expect you to do?

The sort of language games you could play with the group would be totally incompatible for each age range.  The only thing that may appeal to all ages and can be used at lower level is TPR (Total Physical Response) activities where you get them to do actions and build up their listening comprehension.

I run a language school and I would never ask any teacher to teach such a class.  I need the money, but not at the expense of producing a second class Mickey Mouse service.

9 Mar 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

Yeah I agree with Logos, it does seem pretty odd.

Let me ask you, is it a family, or are they all relative strangers?

You may have to use the age gap as your main basis of learning, ie: topics such as childhood, technology etc... how they have changed throughout generations.  That would obviously be for later when they have some english.

For now, you will have to really, REALLY plan your class meticulously.  You will have to divide your time between the younger and older crowd.  You can have the same theme, just with two variations of an exercise, one for the younger ones, one for the older.

You can divide the time spent doing various tasks so that maybe the children are quietly completing a written task while the adults and yourself are discussing a topic, or learning a concept, then you may give feedback to your children while the adults are completing their task.

It is a less than ideal situation for sure, to have to run two mini classes within the one class, and it definitely up �s the amount of work and prep expected of you.

I had to teach a class similar to this once before.  It was a disaster as ESL standards go, but considering what I had to work with...

9 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

I wholly agree with Logo here...

But as a "solution" of sorts to your problem since I have the sneaking feeling that your employer cares not one bit about the quality of the class nor his teachers.. is that as you have already suggested - but I would add to it in that I would focus quite heavily on vocabulary activities and the use of  flashcards as well as very basic structures... something that they all can do and participate in without too much problems... also using flashcards can be fun for everyone involved. You could make teams - adults against the kids that type of things...

9 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I would go with basic vocabulary. 

When I first came to Israel, I studied in a class with people  from 15 different countries.  I am talking about the 70 �s when English wasn �t a big priority everywhere.  In order to teach us, because of the lack of a common language for translation,  the  teacher used pictures of everyday situations.  For example:
              At the post office - so she showed us pictures of items - envelope  - stamp and taught us how to ask for things.   She did this with - grocery shopping etc.

I admit that we worked on learning to say the words more than reading.

Teaching basic voabulary shouldn �t upset anyone because even an elderly man would want to know how to say "  dall, ball, play.

I hope this helps.

9 Mar 2009     

jamie_s
Thailand

Thank you all for your replies to my dilemma. Firstly, this class is a family (of sorts). A Father, his son and daughter, his son �s friend, and his father �s friend. The Father is actually my landlady �s brother. It �s the school holiday �s now in Thailand, and the father came to me and asked if I wanted to teach.
I �m not doing it through my school, I �m doing it mainly, because the Father really wants his children to learn English, and they don �t seem to be getting anywhere in their respective schools, so I said I �d do my best.
Maybe I �ve bitten off more than I can chew, but I �ll do my best for the students and hopefully learn something from this experience.

You �ve all given me great advice though. Approve

Thank you.

9 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Well, if it �s a family, I would try and find out what that family has experienced together, where they have travelled, what their hobbies are. Things that they have in common and can relate to.  Perhaps the family has a cat, collects stamps, loves to talk walks or has a favorite tv program they like to see.
It �s easiest if you have a theme they all can relate to.

L

9 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Good luck jamie_s.

9 Mar 2009     

wolfy
Chile

They all seem to be basic, I don �t think the age gap will be too much of a problem, especially if the parents are just there to learn a little and realise it �s the kids that are more important. �Have you considered that the parents want to be with the kids to make sure they learn rather than to learn themselves? �If the adults in the class don �t know you and you �re doing this freelance many parents would at least be within hearing distance, maybe this is a case of overprotection in which case you won �t have any problems. �If not aim the class at the kids anyway, if the adults complaim tell them the kids are more important, but you �d teach an adults class seperately if they like. �Good luck let us know how you get on.

9 Mar 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

As they are a family, I think that the parents will love to learn the same things as their children. Play lot �s of games with them. Children are competitive and normally they are better at games than their parents. Start with the subject family, pets, routine time, the basic so they can comunicate about things they know.

9 Mar 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

I apologise if I may have sounded too critical of your situation.  Now that you explain it is a family, then it does make a tremendous difference.  The relationship between them should be so much more relaxed and understanding - hopefully - especially on the part of the parents. 

Please take the advice of others who have dealt with this situation much more than I.  Once again I apologise if I sounded too critical.

9 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >