Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IT MIGHT BE A GOOD TOOL.    

IT MIGHT BE A GOOD TOOL.

mari_18cf
Brazil

IT MIGHT BE A GOOD TOOL.

IT MIGHT BE A GOOD TOOL.

In relation to the sentence above, in my understanding might means low probability.

Can it also only express a possibility?

If yes,  Can it express both a possibility and a probabily and give the reader 2 interpretations? 

4 Dec 2017      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Mari,
Yes, "might" could mean either one.

Without any context, I would say that the sentence expresses a somewhat negative opinion of the tool, saying, in essence, "Yes, it might be a good tool, but I would be surprised".  -  low probability

But you �re right that it could also be interpreted as saying "It is possible that it is a good tool, so go ahead and buy it if you want."

Bruce 

4 Dec 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

It sounds kinda hopeful to me - It �s a long shot, but ... it MIGHT be a good tool 

I can easily imagine somene trying to save some more or less lost files on a computer, using just another tool they found on the web ... 

It can also sound cautious - I don �t want to make any promises, but it might work. 

In both cases it is possible, but not very probable. But hope dies last. 

4 Dec 2017     

douglas
United States

Without intonation, I would not interpret "might" as a low or negative connotation. In written form I find it completely neutral.

5 Dec 2017