Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Will or might    

Will or might

modelena
Italy

Will or might

Hello everyone Could you please help me? Which one should I write? I.........go to Rome next month. 1) will 2) might I think might is the right one because there is no clue that the person speaking is certain about that. What would you suggest? Thank you Bye Elena

13 Dec 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well Elena, it really does depend on the context, as both are fine grammatically. If there is a doubt and going to Rome is just a possibility, then �might �.
I will add that you would probably say, �I �m going to Rome next month � instead of �will �, which sounds very formal, unless you are being emphatic. �I will go to Rome next month and I don �t care what you say. �

13 Dec 2017     

modelena
Italy

Thank you!

13 Dec 2017     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Lynne, "will" isn �t the usual choice for forming the future tense here, so "might" is the better choice. So, "will" is correct, but only "might" sounds natural.

Bruce 

13 Dec 2017