Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > transformation    

transformation

tommy1996
Vietnam

transformation

what is right?
Why don �t you use this computer?
-> I suggest .....................................
1/ I suggest using this computer.
2/ I suggest (that) you (should) use this computer.
Thanks  

21 Jan 2018      

FrauSue
France

For me, both of your options sound fine, but I would tend to use (2) without the words in parentheses.

21 Jan 2018     

[email protected]
United Kingdom

As FrauSue says, all correct but number 2 without brackets is the  most natural in normal circumstances

21 Jan 2018     

letalex
Greece

both are correct, with or without the words in brackets. The use of gerund indicates that the speaker is also included in the action. That is ,by saying "I suggest using " you mean that you will also use the computer. Hope I helped!

22 Jan 2018     

yanogator
United States

I disagree with letalex. To me, "I suggest using..." doesn �t imply anything about the speaker.

Bruce 

22 Jan 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Bruce. If you want to include the speaker, you could use the pronoun �we �. I suggest we use the computer. I suggest we begin by using the computer.

22 Jan 2018     

fatima24
Algeria

what about: I suggest him to use that computer?

23 Jan 2018     

yanogator
United States

No, fatima24. That won �t work. You can �t use "I suggest - person - infinitive"

Bruce 

24 Jan 2018