Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > An English teacher or a teacher of English ? What is the correct one?    

An English teacher or a teacher of English ? What is the correct one?

curk
Spain

An English teacher or a teacher of English ? What is the correct one?

Of I am Spanish and I teach English at a secondary school what should I say? 

13 Feb 2018      

Logos
Malaysia

Both are acceptable though without a context �I am an English teacher � can refer to the nationality first and occupation second.  So can be interpreted as being English and a teacher - not necessarily of English.  As stated usually context can sort this out, if people know you are Spanish then the alternative interpretation is that you teach English.  To say you are a teacher of English sounds a little more formal but does not have the same misunderstanding the first statement can generate..

13 Feb 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Curk:

The Member Logos kindly gives a good, accurate answer.

The phrase, �An English Teacher �, causes doubt as to whether it refers to the Nationality, or the Occupation, of the Speaker.

With the phrase, �A Teacher of English �, there is no doubt! The person is a Teacher! The person teaches English! The Nationality of the person is  not revealed.

If a Spanish national in the UK was discussing jobs, he/she would probably say:

"I am Spanish and I teach English at the Secondary School!".

Les Douglas 

14 Feb 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The two previous answers are spot on. However, I am a French teacher and I don �t go round saying �I am English and I teach French! � . It really does depend on the context, I suppose. 

14 Feb 2018     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne that we don �t usually announce our nationality when talking about our occupation, so "I am an English teacher" is probably the better choice because, as Logos said, it doesn �t sound so formal. I don �t think I have ever said "I am an American math instructor", but I have often said "I am a math instructor".

Bruce 

14 Feb 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I would also say I am an English teacher.  I would not say I am a teacher of English. Instead, I would say I teach English.

14 Feb 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

You are perfectly correct, Lynne (Cunliffe). Thank you!

"It depends on the context!"... because we know that ALL language exchanges depend on the context.

In the UK, I don �t say:

"I am English, and I teach English to Speakers of Other Languages".

I simply say: "I teach English to Speakers of Other Languages".

But, Pedro Velasquez de Luque, who is here at an international party, demonstrating the salsa, might possibly say:

"I am Spanish, and I teach English at the Secondary school."

Lynne, you are ALWAYS better at language than me!

"C �est Fromage!!!

Les Douglas

14 Feb 2018     

teresasimoes
Portugal

I have already had the change to discuss this point in a seminar a few years ago and the conclusion we got to was:
when you teach English as a foreign language, the phrase "teacher of English" turns out to be clearer. However, I also think that sometimes it doesn´t make any difference.

14 Feb 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I teach English?  Et, par la route, je mange du fromage ou je suis mangeuse de fromage? Wink 

14 Feb 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Lynne:

C ��tait une blague!

Quel dommage!

Pourquoi en faire tout un fromage?

Les Douglas 

14 Feb 2018     

FrauSue
France

It depends on the way you stress it.

I am an ENGlish teacher. =  I teach English.
I am an ENGlish TEACHer = I am a teacher whose nationality is English. 

15 Feb 2018     

1    2    Next >