Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Let Down = Disappoint     

Let Down = Disappoint

spinney
United Kingdom

Let Down = Disappoint

The amount of times that I have told people that let down is a commonly used phrasal verb, practised it, used it in games, revised it and they still forget all about it.
Well, maybe this video of the Vicar of Dibley  will help them remember.

28 Feb 2018      

yanogator
United States

Wow! I don �t remember that one at all. For the most part, the jokes at the end were my favorite part of the series. I �ve always thought that Emma Chambers must have enjoyed playing Alice so much. My favorite scene from Vicar of Dibley is the I Can �t Believe It �s Not Butter scene:   Not Butter

Since Emma Chambers wasn�t well known here in the US, I just learned that she died last week.   Unhappy

Bruce 

28 Feb 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

I didn �t even know you had The Vicar of Dibley over there in the States. Now there �s a surprise.
Yep, a shame about Emma Chambers. I haven �t seen many episodes myself but she was a damn fine comic actress. A bit too young to go just yet. Such is life, I �m sorry to say.  

1 Mar 2018     

MoodyMoody
United States

Well, to be fair, let-down can also be used as a noun: "It was a real let-down to learn of Emma Chambers � death from a heart attack last week." (Yes, I realize "let-down" is a bit crass in that context. To be fair, the subject had already been brought up. And my in-laws have the complete show The Vicar of Dibley on DVD. They love Brit-coms!)

1 Mar 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

That �s a great joke!
I never took much to �Dibley � or �Ab Fab � to be honest, but loved, loved, loved French and Saunders, the pair of them together. I �ve been looking for a clip to share, but my favourites are all a bit raunchy for this site. ... Like the ones where they dress up as two old fellersLOL

3 Mar 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

More of a One Foot in the Grave and Father Ted man, myself. Obviously, the episode where both shows overlap had me crying and rolling around on the floor going purple. I have a question list for that which I use with my students when I force the poor blighters to watch it. I have used question lists for A Touch of Cloth (a kind of British version of Police Squad), which has been incredibly popular with students although it is for upper intermediate level at the very least. Unfortunately, I will never be able to take a British police series seriously ever again. 

3 Mar 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Dale, I �ll have a look at A Touch of Cloth, sounds interesting! My husband loved One Foot in the Grave  and Father Ted. Dare I say they were a bit laddish i.e. appealing more to the chaps, in the way that Billy Bragg is a bit laddish? I once had to sit through an hour of this man and after that I retired to the bar. Just by the by.... Have a nice Sunday!
Lynne  

4 Mar 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

@Lynne: Ooh! I think you will find that A Touch of Cloth is laddish in the extreme. It �s written and directed by Charlie Brooker (Black Mirror). That said, there are some wonderful plays on words and the English language in general. A sample.

4 Mar 2018