Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Use the correct tense-forms of the verbs in brackets    

Use the correct tense-forms of the verbs in brackets

ladzoya
Belarus

Use the correct tense-forms of the verbs in brackets

I ( always, be) afraid of fires because when I ( be) eight years old, my boarding school ( burn) down . The flames (be) hundreds of metres high and ( reach) up into night sky. By the time the fire brigade (arrive), the building ( nearly, burn)down and there (be) very little they ( can) do.

Thanks for any help

16 Mar 2018      

Pedro14
Spain

have always been / was / burned or burnt / were / reached / arrived / had nearly burned or had nearly burnt / was / could

16 Mar 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I have always been afraid /I am always afraid..... when I was 8..... burned...... the flames were..... reached.... fire brigade arrived.... the building had nearly burned.... there was very little they could do.

Edit: Just seen Pedro�s replies, we must have posted at same time. Agree with him. 

16 Mar 2018     

ladzoya
Belarus

Thank you very much! 

16 Mar 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with everyone above, but my first instinct was to say the building WAS nearly burned down, although I recognize that "had nearly burned down" is also correct. https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/burnt-down-or-burned-down.38038/ also mentions was burned down.

I am always afraid of fires because when I was eight years old, my boarding school burned down. The flames were hundreds of metres high and reachd up into night sky. By the time the fire brigade arrived, the building WAS nearly, burned down and there was very little they could do.

16 Mar 2018     

ladzoya
Belarus

Thanks

16 Mar 2018