Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Confusing words    

Confusing words

dackala
Serbia

Confusing words

Hi,

I �m having problems with the following question:

Keeping files on a computer database is a __________ solution. The words that are confusing to me are new- and now- tech. I googled them but I only see that people use new tech without a hyphen. So I suppose the other two collocations don �t exist?

1)new-tech
2)now-tech
3)high-tech 

Can anyone recommend a good textbook about computers and IT?

Thank you! 

21 Mar 2018      

spinney
United Kingdom

High-tech, although it �s a bit of an odd sentence. I would have preferred digital solution.
I have PMed you about it. 

21 Mar 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

dackala:

In answer to your question regarding a computer textbook:

BCS Glossary of Computing and ICT 13th (thirteenth) Edition by Arnold Burdett, Dan Bowen, Diana Butler, Aline Cumming, Fran published by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT (2013) Paperback.

This is published by the British Computer Society. It costs approximately �25, but it can be obtained cheaper.

Les Douglas 

21 Mar 2018     

dackala
Serbia

Sorry for late reply, and thanks to  spinney and ldthemagicman for the replies. I meant to say: I �ve only seen "high-tech" as a common answer and "new tech" without a hyphen, so I suppose that the third doesn �t exist (now-tech). I had many odd examples from the same book " Computers and Information Technology" (Jon Marks) A&C Black Publishers Ltd. Have you used this book?

23 Mar 2018     

Jayho
Australia

In my experience:

High tech / high-tech - both forms are commonly used
New tech (no hyphen) - commonly used (never seen it with a hyphen)
Now tech - not used 

Cheers

Jayho 

23 Mar 2018     

dackala
Serbia

Thanks a lot Jayho! 

23 Mar 2018     

dackala
Serbia

Thanks a lot Jayho! 

23 Mar 2018