Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Good afternoon everyone!     

Good afternoon everyone!

ELMERY
Morocco

Good afternoon everyone!

Hello,
I haven �t been a member for so long yet. but I could notice that this is a very interactive community of teachers and researchers of knowledge surrounding the language of English. 
I have an issue, and I am looking for some help, so I �ll cut to the chase.
I have a student who is not willing to learn English grammar, he says he finds it boring to learn about and apply the rules. however, he likes speaking in English, he makes many mistakes confusing tenses and conjugation. it is my utmost duty to correct his mistakes but also teach him how never to make them again, but he is very stubborn and doesn �t want to learn these grammar rules. so I am asking for your help to provide me with a smart and efficient method to indirectly make him learn tenses rules and apply them.

P.S: this is a very serious issue for me.I �ll also appreciate any attempt to help me sort this out. I �ll be forever grateful to anyone.  

31 Mar 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Get him to watch �Friends �. There �s some good advice on this link. 

Or, short clips like  Mr Bean

Some good tips on here: 

Pass off learning as a memory test. So, get him to watch a short clip and then ask him to repeat what happened and in the correct order... 

I agree with correcting his mistakes.... only to a certain extent.  I would never stop a student in full flow; instead, make a mental note of the main errors and introduce the corrections as naturally as you can. For example, if he says, �I been to the doctor �s yesterday �... you say... �Oh, so you went to the doctor �s yesterday? Just tell me that again � ... Etc. 

Can you keep away from any negative comments and only give positive feedback when he gets something right? (Difficult as that may be!)... So, introduce a reward system, maybe. 

This boy sounds very difficult! Good luck! 

31 Mar 2018     

ELMERY
Morocco

Thank you so much cunliffe. You actually gave me some insights! 

2 Apr 2018     

altjamessmith
Japan

I also have this problem.

I prefer playing games with students where they repeatedly have to use the correct phrase.
Its much more effective and fun than a full on grammar explanation.
After a game I would go through the grammar since they have more of an interest in what exactly they have been saying. 
Or as Cunliffe says, dont stop  a student in full flow, but make a note of his mistakes and pass it to him after the lesson to think about. For example, you want to say this, but you said this. 

5 Apr 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

As both Cunliffe and Altjamessmith said, don �t stop the guy mid-flow. Let him continue, take notes, and then drill him afterwards. I also use games, continuously. They are much more effective than grammar as you actually see the results, even in the most challenging students. PM me and I �ll send you some stuff that I use with a brief note on what and how to go about it.

5 Apr 2018