Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Present participle with non-continuous verbs    

Present participle with non-continuous verbs

ninon100
Russian Federation

Present participle with non-continuous verbs

Dear colleagues,
is it possible to form a present participle clause from a state (non-continuous) verb?
For example, People who have children should pay less tax. Transform: People having children should pay less tax.
Is that Ok or should we ONLY say "people with children" here? 

OR: The man who owns the flat - Transform - The man owning the flat? 
OR: Women who believe in feminism - Transform - women believing in feminism? 

I �ve heard that non-continuous verbs can �t make -ing participles. Or can they?

I �m not talking about gerunds, of course. 

10 Apr 2018      

yanogator
United States

Hi, ninon,
These verbs definitely have present participles, but you have to be careful with them.

Your three examples don �t sound wrong, but they also don �t sound quite natural, so I wouldn �t use them. To my ear, "People having children..." sounds like people who are in the process of giving birth.

Having a cold, he decided to stay home today. This sounds OK to me, but "People having a cold should stay home" doesn �t.

I can �t come up with a full-page explanation of the grammar like Les can, but what I feel is that the present participle (as is its purpose) of these verbs gives a sense of happening now, just as the verb usage of the present participle does. That �s why "People having children" sounds to me like they are in the process of it.

So what it seems to boil down to is that if you use the present participle as an adjective after the noun, it has to have a verbal sense 

Bruce 

10 Apr 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I completely agree with Bruce..  I also thoght of people having children meaning people giving birth, although the context would help you determine that that is not what is meant.

12 Apr 2018     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Thank you! :)

13 Apr 2018