Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocab    

vocab

tommy1996
Vietnam

vocab

help me with differences between these adjectives, please
trusty, trustful and trustworthy .
thanks 

1 May 2018      

maryse pey�
France

Well, I hope I will be right in my answers :

TRUSTY = faithful (someone who will not betray you, someone you can count on). We can say that for someone who admires you (for example) and is ready to do anything to help you.

TRUSTFUL = (someone) who deserves to be trusted when given something special to do. We can say that for someone you would like to say something "secret" or "special", this person is not going to repeat or to reveal what has been told them.

TRUSTWORTHY = someone serious enough or of some value to be considered in case of necessity ; or something solid enough or of good quality to be bought. This word is to design someone or something with some value.

Here are the different meanings.

2 May 2018     

rebnap
United States

I agree with most of Maryse �s answer, except for trustful.

I�ve always understood that anytime a word ends in �ful� it means that the subject is full of that, i.e. "The flower is beautiful.", means that the flower is full of beauty. So to say someone is trustful means that they are full of trust for someone or something else. It has nothing to do with whether or not it is deserved. 

We use the same method with trustworthy. However, in this case it�s referring to the object of trust. "He is a trustworthy friend.", means that this friend is worthy (deserving) of trust. i.e. It�s ok to trust him.  

Trusty...when a word ends in �y�, it�s a noun that has been changed to an adjective, i.e. rain, rainy. So you would use this word to describe something/someone you trust. "So far, his trusty car had gone 200,000 km with no serious problems."

4 May 2018