Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Accent Reduction Help!    

Accent Reduction Help!

Zora
Canada

Accent Reduction Help!

Hi there,

I was wondering if any of you can point me in the direction of some accent reduction exercises or techniques? 

I have a friend, who speaks English like a native, except, of course, he has an accent. Now, he would like to reduce his accent and sound less like a foreigner.
So any ideas are welcome! 

Thanks!

Linda 

5 May 2018      

maryse pey�
France

Hi Linda,

I have been told that theater lessons are of a great help. The way of speaking distinctly when on stage is particular.

Why doesn �t your friend try to speak an English play with slangless English ? for example of course. Not classic like Shakespeare because too old, but after all why not ?

He can try to register himself like if he was reading for blind people and try to auto-correct himself trying to emphasize, in a first attempt, the passages he thinks too "accentuated". Or he can listen to some reports and register them on his own, then compare.

Just some ideas like that. But I was told several times about the theater lessons ! Why not ?

Hugs.

Maryse.

5 May 2018     

Zora
Canada

Hi Maryse,

You read my mind about the theatre !!!! I thought the very same thing, however, he runs a business, already works 18 hour days, weekends included, (he even gave up playing in band because he just hadn �t the time anymore to do it).  While I �ll mention it to him, I think he wants something he can do at home or on the way to work or a meeting. (I know, it sounds crazy.) I do have a few ideas involving listening to the proper pronunciation online, (howjsay.com is a great site), repeating, and later recording yourself - and most importantly, his wife needs to be the judge of what he sounds like cause, we as human beings, never really think we sound a certain way - or in his case, he �s a perfectionist and won �t think he �s improving when he is.

I was hoping somebody might add a few ideas to my crazy one.  

5 May 2018     

kwsp
United States

Hi Zora,

I strongly agree with your idea of listening and repeating. Here are a couple of websites to add to your list.

kwsp 

5 May 2018     

Zora
Canada

Thanks kwsp,

I �ll certainly add them to my list. The more variety, the better. 

Linda 

6 May 2018     

anahutten
Canada

These look good too. He can practice in front of a mirror! 

Star Pronunciation - Clear English Tip #2. Mouth Movements in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZscA9V6nU

8 May 2018