Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ıs it possible to use past perfect after the conjunction by the time?    

ıs it possible to use past perfect after the conjunction by the time?

space
Turkey

ıs it possible to use past perfect after the conjunction by the time?

by the time I had done my shopping and cleaned the house, Saturday was nearly over.

this sentence is from a grammar book and one of my students asked me whether this sentence is correct or not.As far as I know , after the conjunction "by the time " we generally use simple past and this is a rule.
I checked online and some people said that it can be used like that too.But I am in doubt.
So could anyone help me with this sentence please.
thank you. 

14 May 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

That sentence is absolutely fine. 

14 May 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Space:

I cannot find �A Rule� such as you describe.

�By the time I HAD DONE my shopping and (HAD) CLEANED the house, Saturday WAS nearly over�. PAST PERFECT TENSE & PAST PERFECT TENSE & PAST SIMPLE TENSE

(�Saturday was nearly over by the time I had done my shopping and cleaned the house�.)

�Usually, by the time I DO my shopping and CLEAN the house, Saturday IS nearly over�. PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE & PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE & PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE

�Usually, by the time I HAVE DONE my shopping and HAVE CLEANED the house, Saturday IS nearly over�. PRESENT PERFECT TENSE & PRESENT PERFECT TENSE & PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE

�Last week, by the time I DID my shopping and CLEANED the house, Saturday WAS nearly over�. PAST SIMPLE TENSE & PAST SIMPLE TENSE & PAST SIMPLE TENSE

�Last week, by the time I HAD DONE my shopping and HAD CLEANED the house, Saturday WAS nearly over�. PAST PERFECT TENSE & PAST PERFECT TENSE & PAST SIMPLE TENSE

�Next week, by the time I DO my shopping and CLEAN the house, Saturday WILL BE nearly over�. PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE & PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE & FUTURE SIMPLE TENSE

�Next week, by the time I DO my shopping and CLEAN the house, Saturday WILL HAVE BEEN nearly over�. PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE & PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE & FUTURE PERFECT TENSE

I believe that these sentences are grammatically correct and are perfectly acceptable. There are probably others.

I hope that this helps you.

Les Douglas

14 May 2018     

space
Turkey

thanks a lot for the explanation.have a nice day.

15 May 2018