Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammar    

Grammar

morganalin
Portugal

Grammar

Hello everyone, I need your help with the following sentence;

a.       You _____ try talking to your parents about getting involved in activities that ______ help you become more confident.

1. can/would      2. might/could                        3. should/would                      4 might/should

In this sentence I wanted students to use the second option might/could, but the thruth is that many of them used the third option  should/would. Can I accept that answer? What do you think? 

23 May 2018      

yanogator
United States

You can definitely accept should/would. Even can/would is acceptable, although not quite as solid, not having both verbs in the conditional form. Grammatically, even might/should isn �t incorrect, although the sentence doesn �t read very well with that option.

Bruce 

23 May 2018     

morganalin
Portugal

Hi Bruce thanks a lot for your reply. 

Have a great day. 

Sara 

24 May 2018     

jeanne9
France

All the options are correct - it depends on the emphasis you want to put on the verb.

Deb 

26 May 2018