Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > any difference in meaning?    

any difference in meaning?

Pedro14
Spain

any difference in meaning?

He suggested that Brian took part in the competition. He suggested that Brian (should) take part in the competition. 
I have a few times stumbled on the first sentence, that is to say suggest followed by past simple. I know both structures are fine, just would like to know if as (should) bare infinitive or verb in gerund form, suggest plus past simple is also a common structure and if there is any difference with the other structures. Thanks in advance.  

30 May 2018      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Pedro,
Yes, there is a large difference.
First, I �ll say that "He suggested that Brian took part in the competition" doesn �t sound at all natural, for two reasons.

1. It isn �t the most common use of "suggest" in this kind of sentence, here meaning that he just hinted at it, without actually saying it.

2. It should more properly be "He suggested that Brian had taken part in the competition", and the meaning is that he said something that caused people to believe that Brian had competed.

As you can see, this is not at all like your other sentence, in which he was giving Brian the idea to compete.

Bruce 

30 May 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Excellent point from Bruce.

�He is suggesting that Brian take part in the competition �. This is something similar to a subjunctive (as near as English gets!) and it �s fine. And in the past, as in the example: �He suggested that Brian took part ...... � doesn �t really work to convey this meaning. It doesn �t sound natural. �He suggested that Brian take part... � I can see this working in certain contexts. Here �s a very natural sounding sentence using that structure, �Mum suggested that I speak to my teacher about the bullying. � 
Edit: reasonably natural. 

31 May 2018