Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > other or another?    

other or another?

Antonio Oliver
Spain

other or another?

Hi Friends all over the world,

Wish you could help� Can �t explain this well to my students: why do we say another 10 pounds? Shouldn �t it be other 10 pounds?

FYI, Google (quoted search) returns 80K another, 26K other

Thanks 

6 Jun 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Antonio, it�s another because it is in addition to. You haven�t paid enough, it�s another ten pounds. Oh no! I don�t believe this, l�ve gained another ten pounds! The other ten pounds may be used in negative sense. She paid the first ten pounds I lent her, but not the other ten I gave her last week. It is more of a comparison than an extra. Apologies for lack of punctuation, just got a tiny tablet.

6 Jun 2018     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Thanks Lynne, as helpful as usual!

I understand your argument and agree that the other 10 pounds is more likely part of a negative sentence. However�

I �m still uncertain how to explain this to my students. I �m thinking of this dialogue we came across recently:

- Shall we go on jogging? Say another 2 miles?
- I �m going home, you go on the other 2 miles!

I don �t know if perhaps I could say that "another" in the first case means "an extra" or "an additional"? I mean, the word  has changed meaning slightly

Thanks again 

7 Jun 2018     

douglas
United States

another--you are adding to the first 10 pounds--into one stack

other- you are comparing to different "stacks"

7 Jun 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I guess in the example you mention, in the reply, the another two miles have already been mentioned, so the fact that they are extra is known and implicit in the reply. To demonstrate that another is in addition to and other is in apposition, you could use, �Another thing is...� (you are going to add something). �On the one hand, ....... on the other.... � you are comparing, not adding. Mmmm.... Maybe you will get another answer.

7 Jun 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Antonio,

This is a direct quotation from ‘A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language’, by Randolph Quirk, and 5 other English professors.

Page 388-39.

Other and another.

Other as a post-determiner follows the other determiners, including quantifiers and (sometimes) numerals.

All the other women; her other sister| that other colour; many other ideas | several other trees; two other trees.

As a pronoun, it can follow the same wide range of determiners; it also occurs in a plural form others.

Some people complained, but others were more tolerant.

Where are all the others [‘people, books’, etc.]

I have one sock, but I’ve lost the other (one).

Others is used in an absolute sense in:

We should be considerate to others. [‘other people generally’]

Another, although spelt as a single word, is to be considered a fusion of the two words an and other, or alternatively as a reduced version of one other:

I sold my bicycle and bought another (one).

Apart from its usual meaning, another also has an incremental meaning of ‘a further’ or ‘one more’.

May I borrow another piece of paper? [‘an additional piece of paper’]

In this sense, another can be followed by a numeral and a plural noun.

The farm already has ten cows, but they are buying another five (cows). [‘five more cows’]

Although comparatively rare with the of-construction, other/others and another may be classed with the of-pronouns. Examples of their use with this construction are:

Some members of our expedition wanted to climb to the summit, but others of us thought it too dangerous.

I saw another of those yellow butterflies yesterday.

The genitive of another and other is rare when the reference is general:

(*another’s )

She has ( another person’s ) coat.

( somebody else’s )

*= UNNACEPTABLE.

?= NATIVE SPEAKERS UNSURE ABOUT ACCEPTABILITY.

We are not interested in (?other’s )

( other people’s ) problems.

But with narrower reference:

Each looked after (the other’s bag [two people]

(the others’ bags[several people]

The following are abbreviated quotations, showing only examples of relevant sentences.

Page 364.

Reciprocal pronouns.

Reflexive pronouns.

Adam and Eve blamed themselves. = ‘Adam blamed himself and Eve blamed herself’.

Reciprocal pronouns.

Adam and Eve blamed each other. = ‘Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed Adam’.

All the children trust one another.

The party leaders promised to give each other their support.

Meg and Bill are very fond of each other.

They each blamed the other.

The passengers disembarked one after another.

The genitive form of reciprocal pronouns.

The students can borrow (each other’s ) books

(one another’s)

Ann and Bob wrote letters to each other.

Other sentences:

Each of the twins wanted to know what the other was doing.

The twins wanted each other to be present at all times.

Their letters to each other were delivered by a servant.

Page 386-387.

Numerical ONE

I saw two suspicious looking men. (The) one went this way, the other that.

One of his eyes is better than the other.

We overtook one car after another. OR, We overtook one car after the other.

I’ve been busy with one thing or another.

The adverbial use of these correlatives:

They talked one with another. Formal.

They talked with one another. Colloquial.

She stacked the books one on top of the other.

I’m sorry that this Post is long-winded, but it’s not a simple topic.

I hope it helps you.

Les Douglas

7 Jun 2018     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Thank you all for taking time to reply. I appreciate it so much, indeed!

Lynne, Douglas 
I found all your explanations highly interesting, coming from expert native teachers. That helped me a lot. I can now give my students a practical, "this-is-how-it �s-used" reason, plus new examples

Les, you �re amazing! I can now tell my students that there is a solid Grammar background to this strange use of the word "another"

Note: "other" and "another" are specially tricky for Spanish students, as they seem to follow different patterns; I mean most languages use a/some + "other" both in singular and plural
French:  un autre jour = an other day; d �autres jours = some others days (lit)
Other languages use a different word for singular (usually accompanied by an article or quantifier) and plural (usually alone)
German: ein anderer Tag = an other day; andere Tage = others days (lit) 
Spanish uses singular and plural forms, in most cases with no articles / determiners:
Otro d�a = Other day
Otros d�as = Others days (lit)
which doesn �t help

Thanks again 

7 Jun 2018     

yanogator
United States

But doesn �t "otro día" mean more like "a different day"? Wouldn �t you use "un día más" to mean "another day"? (I know just enough Spanish to be dangerous, so I �m asking, more than suggesting).

Bruce 

7 Jun 2018     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Bruce,
"un d�a m�s" would be "another day" in phrases like "another day, another dollar" = "un d�a m�s, un d�lar m�s" or "another day in Paradise" = "un d�a m�s en el Para�so" 
But I alwas tell my students that the shortest option is often the best option, so I would say "another day, another dollar" = "otro d�a, otro d�lar"; "another day in Paradise" = "otro d�a en el Para�so"
You can even hear "otro d�a m�s" which would translate literally as "(an)other day more", so both  meanings of the word ("different" and "additional") merge. Funny thing, languages!
Thanks again 

7 Jun 2018     

yanogator
United States

Thanks for the explanation. Now I know a little more.   :)

Bruce 

8 Jun 2018