Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day Competition    

Word of the Day Competition

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Word of the Day Competition

...And here is your new WOD (thanks to Les and Ruta for the reminder!) Let �s have your daffynitions, please! Silly, feasible, believable, or crazy, but NOT the true definition, please! 

BUFFOLA

If you like this kind of thing, google CALL MY BLUFF. I got 7/12 on this quiz

26 Jun 2018      

maryse pey�
France

Well this is the name of a secret mission, a military-spatial one of course. UK-US.

This is the acronym for The Boat-Rocket UK UFO (the 2nd F is for Fantastic not Fantasy) has landed correctly in L.A.

And this name is a trick for the Italian spies as in Italian "BUFFALA" means BUFFALO in English... Why are Italian spies more dangerous than other ones... That �s a mystery for me !

26 Jun 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

This is the increasingly popular sport of naturist surfing.
Example: "Even though she �s nearly 80, there �s nothing my aunt Gladys likes more than breaking out the sun-cream, surf board, and very little else before she heads off to Cornwall to engage in her favourite summer pass-time of Buffola.

26 Jun 2018     

Gi2gi
Georgia

This is a term coined in by male transgender buffalos, who struggle that the term should be used in their IDs instead of male buffalo or female buffalo.

26 Jun 2018     

jfaraujo
Portugal

Buffola is a new brand of pencils aimed at competing with Crayola by offering a magnificent range of colours!

26 Jun 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Members:

I am so pleased that Word of the Day, (WOD), has been resurrected. It provides a little bit of fun in a day that is often hectic. Plus, it introduces Teachers of English to new words, to new concepts, and to old jokes.

If you�ve never participated, try it now! In this Game, the worst that can happen is that you don�t win.

Ladies and Gentlemen, until the latter years, that was the story of my life � I was never in control. So, I never managed to make it to the Podium!

And, speaking of that unpleasant topic, I am surprised that my dear friend, Lynne, has chosen the unsavoury word �Buffola�.

Very briefly, the word, �buff�, means a yellowish-brown colour; an expert on a particular topic; a handsome well-built man; and the verb, �to polish a surface until it shines brightly�. (Students from Poland don�t like me using this phrase!)

It�s at this point that I must choose my words very carefully, in case I offend ABC, from XYZ.

(Yes, I know! � He has a a strange name, and it is an even stranger name for the city where he lives, but, I am not responsible for that!)

�Buff� means nude, naked, unclothed! �That person is in the buff�, means, �That person is naked.�

�Buffola� is Spanish.

So, if you see a group of Spanish people stroll onto the beach, �la playa�, they will often look around happily.

And then, they will murmur appreciatively, �BUFF! OLA!!!" (�Nude! Excellent!!!")

Les Douglas

26 Jun 2018     

MoodyMoody
United States

Buffola is another word for a wanna-be nerd who doesn �t really know the subject material. Here �s Robert Downey, Jr. with the perfect explanation:

26 Jun 2018     

karagozian
France

I hate beaf. So whenever someone wants to serve me some, I say "Holala... ! No buff-hola for me!"

27 Jun 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

They are great! Any more? I will judge this once the post is off the forum.

Lynne 

28 Jun 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Buffola in my neck of the woods means a contest or competiton to see who can buff floors the best (make them gleam). 

28 Jun 2018