Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Reduced relative clauses    

Reduced relative clauses

gordana44
Croatia

Reduced relative clauses

Hello!

I wonder if anyone can help me with these exercises. 

Complete the following sentences with the appropriate form of verbs in reduce relative clauses.

a) The insured all the equipment ___________(belong) to the faculty.
b) Students ____________(travel) to London every day should take int the account the possible hold-ups.
c) The last pupil _______________(leave) the classroom will have to turn out the lights.  
d) Teacher aids, also __________________(call) the teacher assistants, do not need a certificate.
e) The sound of children ____________ (sing) in the classroom could be heard from the hall.
f) Teachers ________________(work) with pupils with special education needs have to take an intensive course. 

This task was given like an exam task to one of my student. I think sentence c) and sentence f) sound rather strange and are incorrect. But I would like to hear your opinion on these sentences. Also, how would you solve this task.

Thank you so much. 

26 Jun 2018      

Gi2gi
Georgia

a) belonging
b) traveling (UsEng) / travelling (BritEng)
c) leaving
d) called
e) singing
f) working�
OBTW, there�s a typo in sentence (a) , it should be �they insured...� And in (b) �into account�

26 Jun 2018     

gordana44
Croatia

Thank you so much. There is definitely a typo in these sentences. 

26 Jun 2018     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Gordana,
Giorgi �s answers are correct, as usual. I �m not sure if you noticed that he removed "the" from sentence b, using "into account" instead of "into the account". Also, in sentence d, it should just be "teacher assistants", without "the".

Bruce 

26 Jun 2018     

gordana44
Croatia

Thank you Bruce. I appreciate your help.

26 Jun 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The guys are right, of course. I would suggest �to leave � for c) 

27 Jun 2018     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Lynne, I agree about "to leave" for c.

Bruce 

27 Jun 2018     

Gi2gi
Georgia

I also agree with Lynne and Bruce that "the last pupil to leave" would be the best option.
But the imperative usage of "reduced relative clause", as demanded by gordanna44, leaves us just with one available option, "leaving", which sounds worse than "to leave", both to our native experts and to my non-native ears.

28 Jun 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Giorgi - oops, I didn �t even pick up on �reduced relative clause �. I think �leaving � and �to leave � are fine in natural speech. Looking back at the original question, gordana is not happy with f) either. I would say that  �teachers who work with � sounds a bit better, but... not what was required. 

28 Jun 2018