Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > and a 1-2 finish to be sorted out... Vocabulary help    

and a 1-2 finish to be sorted out... Vocabulary help

mari_18cf
Brazil

and a 1-2 finish to be sorted out... Vocabulary help

MOSCOW — Fourteen teams have secured spots in the knockout stage at the World Cup , leaving just two more up for grabs on Thursday and a 1-2 finish to be sorted out in the final group. Here’s a look at who’s in, who’s out and possible scenarios.

I didn`t understand the highlighted words nor its meaning in the sentence. Could anybody help me out??

#worldcup

27 Jun 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi mari. I think it refers to the fact that the top team (1) in the group, plays the second team (2) in the other group. I will check this out unless someone else can confirm.

28 Jun 2018     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

Hi,

I think it means that in one of the groups it �s not decided yet which team will be the first of the group and which will be second. This affects who they are playing against next. To sort it out the organizers take into account not only total wins but also total goals and even number of yellow & red cards (if both have the same statistics)

But I �m not an expert, perhaps someone can confirm this? 

28 Jun 2018     

mari_18cf
Brazil

It makes total sense. Thanks a bunch

28 Jun 2018     

MoodyMoody
United States

Yes, I was looking at the standings with my class today. Group H looks wild since Japan and Senegal are tied across the board. How does FIFA break ties?

28 Jun 2018     

almaz
United Kingdom

The Japan�Senegal tie-break was resolved on the number of yellow cards issued (Senegal had two, Japan none � so Japan went through). On the question of how FIFA have dealt with this in the past, here�s a fascinating article from yesterday�s Guardian:

29 Jun 2018