Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you call this     

How do you call this

Liligirl
Brazil

How do you call this

Hi!

Please, how  do you call the color of this stone ? It is a mix of colors. I´ve looked up and find out iridescent and color swipe . Are these words represent this mix of colors ?If so, Which one is  more common ?

11 Aug 2018      

manonski (f)
Canada

Prismatic?

11 Aug 2018     

Jayho
Australia

It looks like a topaz. 

Multi-coloured topaz is not natural - it has had  a synthetic layer applied to give it the multi coloured effect. It is generally called mystic topaz but you might see other names for it including rainbow mystic topaz

In terms of colour, I would just refer to it as  �multi-coloured �, but  �mystic� is the technical term.

Cheers

Jayho 

11 Aug 2018     

Liligirl
Brazil

Thanks a lot you two.
I �m not interested in the stone , I just show the picture because I don �t know to explain the color . In Portuguese we call it furta-cor . I don �t know if in English there is a specific name . How about the words at   the dictionary? Iridescent and swipe color ? Don �t you use them?

12 Aug 2018     

Jayho
Australia

Swipe - definitely no

Iridescent - possibly 

Me personally - multi-coloured 

12 Aug 2018     

yanogator
United States

Iridescent refers to something whose color changes depending on the viewing angle. Some opals have this quality. I can �t quite tell from the picture. I checked an online dictionary, and it translates "furta-cor" as "iridescent". I �m guessing that "furta" is related to the English word "furtive", which describes iridescence well, because you can �t pin it down, so you can probably call this iridescent. I�ve never heard the term "swipe color".

I just did some online research on mystic topaz, and it can definitely be called iridescent. 

Bruce 

12 Aug 2018     

Liligirl
Brazil

That what I was looking for! I really appreciate your help! Now I �m not insecure to make this version. It �s for a school project that is going to be shown at a literature fair  about a famous Brazilian author, Ziraldo. Thanks!

13 Aug 2018