Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help with some expressions, please    

Help with some expressions, please

Minka
Slovenia

Help with some expressions, please

hello there!

I hope to get some feedback from native speakers. 
I am supposed to translate an abstract into English and I am not sure about certain words:

What is the best term for the teacher who teaches drama in a middle/secondary school. The children take part in it from their own interest, it is optional. 

Does the teacher of the school drama club sound ok? 
Originally the word was mentor, someone suggested it should be tutor.  
Is there another expression for the drama club? 

Thank you a lot.

Minka 

13 Sep 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In the UK, Drama is often on the curriculum at Key Stage 3 , (ages 11-14,) but not always. Then students can choose to take it as a GCSE option (ages 14 -16). In these schools, the Drama teacher may do a lunchtime club, so indeed, he or she will be the teacher of the school drama club. In schools where there is no mainstream Drama, it �s the same. A teacher - usually an English teacher, might well put on a drama club at lunchtime. It �s just the same, s/he is the drama teacher, or s/he is the teacher of the drama club.
In a situation where there is no-one willing or qualified to teach Drama, but there are some students who want to take it, the school may buy in a few hours a week from a Drama tutor. �Mentor � wouldn �t do in this situation.  

13 Sep 2018     

Minka
Slovenia

Thank you so much! Mentor didn �t sound right to me, either. I suppose tutor might be the best choice here, since it is really an extra-curriculum activity and the teacher didn �t really study drama, but is willing to organize this. I hope I get it right. 

Thanks again, best wishes!

Minka 

13 Sep 2018     

yanogator
United States

Minka,
A tutor is a person who helps students, often one-on-one, with subjects they are having trouble with.

In the US, a teacher who is in charge of a club is called the club �s Advisor.

Bruce 

13 Sep 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yep, I agree with Bruce. If there is a large club, even if the organiser isn �t qualified, I would call her the group �s teacher. A tutor is for one to one, or small group tuition and usually a serious outcome is required - qualifications!            

14 Sep 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Minka,

In my grand-children �s school. they refer to the qualified teacher who teaches Drama as �the Drama Teacher �, and the qualified teacher who teaches music as �the Music Teacher �, both in school and in the after-hours Clubs.

When the qualified Drama Teacher was absent, but the Drama�activities continued, they referred to the stand-in teacher as the � �Teacher who takes Drama �.
In my experience, �a Tutor � is�a qualified teacher. who, (usually one-to-one), helps, advises, encourages and often teaches a student a particular subject. Sometimes, the student seeks out�a teacher for Private Tuition (teaching) before an exam, to improve the student �s�ability.
In my experience, a Mentor is a professional person, (a Nurse, for example), who is in charge of a Student Nurse. The Mentor explains�procedures and ensures that the Student Nurse carries out all nursing�duties correctly and safely.
Les Douglas�

14 Sep 2018