Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The difference between a profile,a portrait and a biography    

The difference between a profile,a portrait and a biography

noura80
Algeria

The difference between a profile,a portrait and a biography

Good morning friends,I hope You �re doing well. What �s the difference between a person �s profile,a portait and biography? What are the steps of writing each of them? Thanks in advance!

19 Sep 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A portrait is a painting of someone and it is full face on (facing forward). It can also be a photo, not a selfie but a carefully staged photo. In art terms, a profile is the person �s head, facing sideways. A profile is also a basic biographical account, DOB, place of birth, basic work details. A biography is a full account of their life. I �m not sure whether we use �portrait � in this context, I would expect a portrait to be a picture. 

19 Sep 2018     

noura80
Algeria

Thanks a lot for your replay .I just want to say that I found the term �portrait � used in some documents and it also refers to a piece of writing that includes personal information,appearance,personality,likes, interests ,.....That �s why I want to know more about it.

19 Sep 2018     

yanogator
United States

Yes, noura80, portrait can be used that way, but it isn �t very common. The 20th-century American composer Aaron Copland wrote a piece called A Lincoln Portrait, which includes a narration about our 16th president. You can click on the link to hear it, narrated by the famous actor Henry Fonda.

Bruce 

20 Sep 2018     

noura80
Algeria

Thanks a lot.An other question about the portrait,is it a narrative or descriptive text? Or it can be both?

20 Sep 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I didn �t find any examples such as Bruce �s. Here is one nearly there, but as you see, Her latest novel paints a very vivid portrait of the aristocracy in the 1920s.
it still conjures up images rather than text. Here, you can see, it is interchangeable with �picture � or �snapshot �
If you are going to use �portrait � in this way, then it will be descriptive, rather than narrative. Nothing is set in stone here and the etymology doesn �t help us, but I would say to most English speakers, �portrait � is a picture or photo, and profile is the narrative about the person. 

20 Sep 2018     

yanogator
United States

As you can see, Lynne �s example is a metaphorical use of "portrait", even using the word "paints" with it. I said that it isn �t very common, and Lynne clearly agrees with that. She is definitely right that a verbal portrait, like a visual one, is descriptive. It can include anecdotes about the person, but for the purpose of clarifying the "image" being presented, rather than as story-telling.

It would be best to avoid using "portrait" for a verbal description of a person, because of the danger of using it more literally than is reasonable. 

Bruce 

20 Sep 2018     

noura80
Algeria

Thanks a bunch friends.You have really helped me.

20 Sep 2018