Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!    

Help!

CILB
Argentina

Help!

Classes started on monday in Argentina. I work with adolescents (13-14 year-old-students) . They talk a lot in class, specially when we are checking exercises. I would like to know what kind of things you do to prevent behaviour problems in class, specially talking when they should be listening and paying attention to their mistakes. If you have other tips for other kind of problems they come in handy!
Thanks in advance!

Cecilia.

11 Mar 2009      

LaSensei
Japan

You can throw rocks at them!  LOL  Just kidding, of course jajajaja!
No, seriously. I usually think that with classes where there is a lot of talking going on, they may just be bored.  Here in Japan, that �s the case. I try to switch the mode of class about every 10 minutes. For instance, if you lecture, just do it for 10 minutes, then do an interactive activity with the whole class.  It �s a lot of work but it keeps them interested. 

I also think that even if you just include one thing, like asking a question and throwing a ball to the student that wants to answer, it can make a class more interested in what you �re doing.

good luck! �buena suerte!

11 Mar 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

If the problem takes place during the exercise correction, you should change the way you carry it out.

Group work is useful in these cases, but it is you who should decide how to form them in a wise way (those knowing more English, trouble makers and the most talkative spread among the groups). Let them name their groups, make a poster identifying group and members. You could even add a sticker/star/ etc to the winning group weekly/monthly (the more often, the more encouraging).

Then correction could be taken as a sort of competition: which group gets more points for better correction/answers/explanations.
They love competition and challenge.

It is just an example, but bear in mind kids and teens learn more and more quickly when playing. If you make the class interesting, they  will get more involved.
In primary and secondary school, some of them have the feeling that they will never learn, that English is difficult or useless. If you can convince them anyone can learn, you�ll see the difference.
A good way of achieving this is setting the objective of the class clearly before starting: "today you will learn to greet and introduce yourselves". If by the end of the class they can do and  have enjoyed it, you will find a different attitude on your next class.

Good luck!  Thumbs Up

11 Mar 2009     

alexcure
Poland

Hi, I agree with LaSensei.... students get bored easily - watch too much TV or play too much computer games and they want quick change of activities - just like on TV or the Internet etc.. then they find it interesting....

good luck,

Alex

PS> Will anyone help me with my question on a RHYME for the PRESENT PERFECT please!

11 Mar 2009     

naah
Argentina

Hi! My students in Argentina like to ride a "cuatriciclo" It is like a motorbike with four wheels.

What�s the word for "cuatriciclo" in English?
Thanks in advance!
Nati

11 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

@ naah...

It �s called a "quad"... Smile

11 Mar 2009     

_babz
Canada

Oh boy - maybe I`m just kinda old school, but this is how it works for me:

It all depends, kids lose interest easier these days, they are very visual, but you can`t always do things to please. We are not babysitting after all! These kids are 13-14 years old, you shouldn`t have to always make things fun. They are old enough to follow class rules.

For me, it shows lack of respect. But you might need to start your next class, and say �when I check homework, no one talks. And possibly, have them each do quiet reading. While they read, you go around and correct.

If the problem continues, I`d note down the names of the students. If I`ve given them a warning, I`d then just stop talking. I`d stop whatever I am doing.

I`d wait 2 minutes ( I might just close the lights )

Usually, they stop cause they know they`ve done something wrong. The next thing I`d do is keep them after school. I did that once, and never had the problem. Of course, you do punish yourself, or if you have the detention system, I`d send the misbehaved kids there.

I`d also meet up with the students who are talking, outside of class, individually, to discuss your frustration. And finally, I`d call home.

Again, I`m sure your classes are fun, after all, you`re getting a lot of your material from eslprintables.com Wink

so do like me, and just blame the students lol LOL

hope that helps

11 Mar 2009     

ex-kanky
Turkey

Smile C e C i L i a Wink

11 Mar 2009     

liverpuliana
Spain

Thanks God someone thinks like me, I was starting to worry. As far as I �m concerned 13-14 year old students are old enough to know they can �t talk in class. I �m not going to start throwing balls at them or anything like that. The way I do it, if a student talks while another one is correcting he gets a bad mark and if this continues I phone the parents and inform them. For me that �s the most effective way. It might sound like I am too strict but beleive me, good students really appreciate what I do because they can learn without being disturbed.I �m not a clown, I �m a teacher.

11 Mar 2009     

liverpuliana
Spain

And without trying to offend anyone, maybe they �re not bored, maybe they are just rude and not very well-behaved.

11 Mar 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Unluckily, it is not so easy everywhere.

Glad to know somebody�s  work is easier somewhere, but it does not always happen the same. You do not always have the authorities� support so you have to deal with the situation alone: do it or leave.
As hard as that (I am not talking about Ceci�s case here)

Their boredom does not have to be with the teacher�s skills
It is not that simple.

11 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >