Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > London Festival or London´s festival?    

London Festival or London´s festival?

asungilsanz
Spain

London Festival or London´s festival?

Hello! I was wondering ... Is it posible to use both forms? Is there a difference between the use of "London" and "London´s" here?

Thanks for your time 

6 Oct 2018      

yanogator
United States

"London Festival" would be the official title of an event, either in or about London. I love going to the London Festival that my city has every year, just to drink the warm beer.

"London ´s festival" is any festival hosted by or taking place in London, and here "London ´s" is just being used as an adjective, telling which festival you are talking about:  London ´s festival is much larger than Manchester ´s. 

Bruce 

6 Oct 2018     

asungilsanz
Spain

Thanks for your quick answer, Bruce!

6 Oct 2018     

cristinasuma
Spain

Thanks for the answer Bruce.   I wonder if that also happens with phrases such as: 

The country language / The country ´s language.

Are they both correct with a difference in meaning or is only one of them correct?

8 Oct 2018     

yanogator
United States

No, Cristina, we don ´t say "the country language".

Bruce 

8 Oct 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello asungilsanz,

I agree with Bruce, totally!

How I teach the APOSTROPHE.

In English, we often introduce a person, a thing, a situation, or an activity into a conversation.

For example, “Peter and his hat”.

After this, we want to speak directly and briefly about it. We don’t want to waste time using lots of words.

“There is something that I would like to tell you about the person called Peter and the thing that he wears on his head … his hat”

No!

For this we use an apostrophe …’

We say: “Peter’s hat.”

This means: “The hat of Peter.”

Peter’s hat is blue.” = “The hat of Peter is blue”

1) “The student’s book is good.” = “The book of the student is good.”

2) “The student’s books are good.” = “The books of the student are good.”

3) “The students’ book is good.” = “The book of the students is good.”

4) “The students’ books are good.” = “The books of the students are good.”

“London’s Festival is much larger than Manchester’s.” = “The festival of London, that we are discussing, is much larger than the festival of Manchester, that we are discussing.”

christinasuma.

Again, I agree with Bruce. No, we don’t say, “The country language”.

We say, “The country’s language”. = "The language of the country that we are discussing."

“Different countries have different languages, often because of their history. England’s language is English, France’s language is French, and Holland’s language is Dutch.”

I hope that this helps you.

Les Douglas

8 Oct 2018     

asungilsanz
Spain

Thanks for your time and for your explanation, Les!

9 Oct 2018